Honored Contributor

Re: Do you buy more to save on shipping?

I have done so, long ago, but no more, it just doesn't make sense, or cents, to do so.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

It's crossed my mind...then kept on going.  I dislike being pressured to find something to add on when I don't really want or need it. 

To me, shipping costs vs. the inconvenience of dragging myself all over creation to find exactly what I want on line is no-contest.  I'll pay for the convenience gladly.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Yes ... if t's close.

For instance, at LandsEnd ... a $50 purchase is necessary for free shipping.

I had a 40% off code good for today only and I needed to replace a couple of things.

I ordered a couple of long sleeve polo shirts and needed only $3.00 more to save $8.50 shipping charge .... so I added a $20 t-shirt that was on sale for $7.79. 

My pre-sale total was $93.94 ... my savings were $35.58 ... plus  I got free shipping.

I wait until I have about enough to save shipping before I place my order.  

I do the same thing with JCP.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm not going to spend $10.00 more to save $5.99 on s/h.  That doesn't make sense to me.

I have a very good friend who refuses to ever pay s/h.  She will order items just to meet the free s/h threshold amount with the intention of returning them to the local store.  IMO that is dishonest and I don't have time to run all over town returning things. 

@Lipstickdiva

It's a higher shipping price when I do it but I'd rather get something else for that money then just pay for shipping especially when it's near the same dollar amount at the end anyway. Two pieces are better than one! LOL as for your friend   I cannot relate to that mentality at all!

Respected Contributor

No, I would not add to my order to save shipping/handling.  When I place an order any item I intended to order would already be in my order.  Therefore, if I added another to save s/h, it would be something I didn't really want.  It is more important to me to not add clutter to my closets than to save a few shipping dollars.  I have been a catalog shopper long before internet shopping was available so shipping and handling is a just part of the process.    If there is something I want to purchase, the shipping factor does not enter into my decision whether or not to buy. 

Honored Contributor

I try not to do this, but I admit I have in the past if it is a few dollars difference from my order total anyway. Usually, I will go back and add a basic t-shirt to my order to meet the amount. I know I will use something like that.

Honored Contributor

Most of my online shopping is with QVC or Amazon, and now with AMazon Prime, I don’t do this any more.

Respected Contributor

Guilty as charged.  I try and not fall for it but I still get snookered. Usually when it is pretty close to the free shipping amount, I always order something else, I would rather get something for my money, but otherwise nowadays, I try and use common sense because it is not a savings if I am adding a lot just to save a few bucks. That is not a savings.

I also think it is dishonest when people just add to their orders to reach free shipping only to take things back to their local stores.  All this accomplishes is costing the stores more in money and resources.  When I do add things it is with the full intention of keeping it all. 

There are times when I am about to order an item and was too far from free shipping but the cost of the item with shipping wasnt worth it to me so I cancelled the order.

Respected Contributor

No. Shipping charges usually make me not buy at all.

Trusted Contributor

I do at Amazon. I leave paperbacks, CD and DVD's I'm interested in, but can wait until later, in my cart. When I shop & need something, but it's not enough to qualify for free shipping, I pick something I've been wanting to not pay $8 shipping. Smiley Happy