Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you believe 'everything goes with anything'?

One size does not fit all and everything doesn't go.

Lori just says anything for sales - if you ever watch her for one minute she's every cliche' that came out of Lisa Robertson's mouth.

Lori has some cute stuff but someone posted  bag lady the other day and if you live in a big city she really can comes close to than phenomenon.

Honored Contributor

I don't think everything goes with everything. My personal style definitely has rules. I am not going to force my rules on anyone else, and at the same no one else is going to convince me that anything and everything goes. I will admit that when I see lots of different colors in gardens or floral arrangements that those colors look pretty together, but that doesn't mean I am going to wear all those colors on my body at the same time. Just not my style. 

Esteemed Contributor

Of course everything doesn't go with everything. But it is fun to jump outside the fashion box we have been in our whole lives. Just today, I had lunch at a Chinese restaurant and there was a table of 12 Red Hatters having lunch. Would I want to wear what they wore? Not in a million years, but I love the fact that they are comfortable enough in their own skin to wear what makes them happy. That's what this life is about. Ladies, be happy!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Regular Contributor

@Susan in California Yeah, they pull out a lot of those broad statements when so few items really can be worn anywhere, by anyone, etc. It's refreshing when every once in a while you hear a host or vendor say, "If you like ___________, this probably wouldn't be your thing." 

I don't know why ageless is supposedly such a great thing either, other than it helps them sell their items to every age group. I'm sure a lot of older women don't want to look like they're trying to recapture their youth, while younger women probably don't want to risk looking "old-lady."

Honored Contributor

Here's the registration symbol.  If you're using Word, the CTRL ALT and R will insert it into your text.  It's not working with this site, however.

(Trademark was my field before I retired.)

I do think Lori has a great eye for creating color.  There is a lot of exciting nuance plus interesting shades and tints and hues.  But for my taste, I prefer how Amy puts the colors together during the Monday night show, not how Lori puts them together. Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

@MaggieMack I like that as well, but my main issue with the philosophy is that, like I said, she makes it sound as though you'll be seen as this fashion icon because what you're wearing "goes." And the concept of certain items of clothing "going" with others would not exist at all if everything truly did go with anything. It would be a moot point. 

We're adults; it should just be, "Wear what you want and forget the rules!" not, "What you're wearing 'goes' so well (when it doesn't)."

Esteemed Contributor

It just makes the vendor's job easy, and it makes the seller's job easy, so you will spend much more money and not ask questions.

The same as they love to sell crop pants and say the length is for everybody: if you're short, they will be ankle pants and so on and so forth. Thus, they don't have to make Petites, Reg & Tall. 

And why do we have Fashion pantone colors of the year? And changes in style annually. Cha ching, cha ching. 

Trusted Contributor

No, everything does not go with anything.  It never has and it never will.  I'm happy that fashion is more flexible these days as opposed to years ago when I was growing up, but more flexible doesn't mean you can just pile on item after item and the end result is going to look good.

Everytime I hear her say this phrase I laugh.

I have a few of her tops and I like them, but I consider her a character, really, and I do believe that all of her catch phrases are just selling ploys.

Regular Contributor

@GingerPeach Ha! I was wondering how you sounded like such an expert. 

And I agree about Lori's color palette. One of the main reasons I like her clothes is that she really does have some gorgeous colors and does not default to one shade each of pink, blue, etc. Since most of her colors are on the soft, dusty side, almost all of them probably would "go" with each other. But it's the massive amounts of layering and clashing prints that get to me. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 Hahaha, don't get me started on the Pantone color of the year! I hate that kind of style-elitism and subtle peer-pressuring. Like I'm this outdated loser if I don't wear "ravishing scarlet" or whatever silly-named shade some people ordained the magical fashion color of the year (But only one year! Wear it next year and you'll be ostracized). 

Your other comment reminds me of something I saw last night on Antonella's show with Susan. Antonella was talking about how supposedly miraculous it is - as though it's some genius work by Susan - that this tiered top they were selling makes busty women look smaller and flat-chested women look bigger. It's pretty basic: You wear a drapey layer over your chest and whatever you have going on there - big or small - is going to be less noticeable. So therefore busty women will feel less like their breasts are on display than usual and flat women will feel less self-conscious about their tiny chests showing.