Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe 'everything goes with anything'?

@jewel3 wrote:

After working in Lori's type of business and seeing lots of designers who push the limits of their art on a consistent basis, I just genuinely say hooray for them. If it was not for the designers who combine their designs in an artful way, we would all be wearing cookie cutter clothes that all look basically the same.  They design a spectrum of items that can be combined in many ways and, luckily, their designs do not appeal to everyone or our choice would soon go out the window as there would be no market for a wide variety of ideas. 

Where I live, Lori's clothes do not look like a bag lady and layering in June is necessary. so geographical differences are certainly at play here. 

To to each her own. So glad the Q offers a variety of lines to appeal to many tastes. 

Thank you for this post.

We still see so many folks who believe in rules.  Those rules may or may not have a purpose when they were created.  Who knows, maybe some of them were even a bit of fun, not to be taken seriously.  Or perhaps they were meant as "guidelines" but not "rules." 

We need artists to help us train our eye.  Even back when fashion was more "standard," and only changed with the decades, it took a while for our vision (our way of seeing) to adapt to new looks.   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Lori's slogan is like any other factor of advertising.

Advertisers have the right to sell consumers goods and services.

Consumers, however, have the right and perhaps the duty to teach themselves what is right for them and what makes sense for them.

Just because someone is on a diet, doesn't mean that person gets to dictate the removal of all the cookies from the grocery store.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

NO NO NO !!!! I have more fashion sense in my little finger than she has in her whole body. Who ever called her a fashion  designer stylist or whatever. She is like a mini bag lady and everything she designs or wears looks the same. UGGH! We need some new designers. Denim and co's G

ary is ten times better than her.

Honored Contributor

I have read a lot of posts here, but this one is one of the most judgmental I've read.

Your style is not my style is not the next person's style.  Who is to say what goes with what?  What's this, the World According to You?  

Yes, anything goes with everything in the sense that you pick out what you want to wear every day and put it together with other pieces that you choose. Who am I to say you should or shouldn't have chosen that?  What you feel looks good for you to walk out of your house into the world isn't necessarily what I would choose.   Anything went with everything for your choices, and anything goes with everything I choose for my choices.  

I think that's a great philosophy.  For you to feel you look good in what you wear.

I "got over" the very tailored look someone described here years ago.  My mother wore it and I was brought up with that model of what women should wear. But after wearing it well into my adulthood it just didn't suit me or my personality.  So I put together what I want to for me to be me and it looks good to me.  Sorry if it doesn't look good to you, but to me when I see a tailored-dressed lady I don't think "everything should have gone with that particular everything" yet she did.

As for whether or not you see other people wearing LOGO style clothes in your town - so what?  Do you have to dress like everytone else, or do you dress to suit yourself and your own personality?   I'm not cookie-cutter.  Maybe lots of you wouldn't like what I chose as what goes with what.   I probably wouldn't like what a lot of you choose to go with other things.   But everything goes with anything is what you put together for yourself from all the clothing choices available to you.  So yes, in that sense everything goes with anything.  And too bad if someone else doesn't like it.

Again, this is a very, very judgemental thread.  Live and let live - who are you to say what goes with what?  

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I have a really hard time with navy.  It's the worst neutral I've ever worn.  It looks awful with black.  Because of that I rarely wear navy.  I pair it with green, but that's it. I'd rather wear the black as a neutral.

Also the shade color of shoes.  Shoes should always be darker then your clothing.  So you can wear white outfit with black shoes.  But you can't wear black outfit with white shoes.  It looks odd to the eye. I'll wear white sneakers with jeans though.  Just about any combination in jeans you can wear.  Having said that, I have never seen Lori combining a black top/bottom with white shoes.

Nude/beige shoes with a black outfit can look outstanding.  It's not any sort of rule that someone has to wear shoes darker than the outfit.

@GingerPeach***Love your example, looks nice.

I'm not a fan of black with navy either.  It's just too much darkness.

I do wear navy though with red, yellow, and green.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee nobody is judging you. We can't see how you put your things together. I'm sure it's very lovely. Yes, we do make judgement when we state that everything doesn't go with everything. It's truly in the eyes of the beholder. I feel no sense of wrong doing when I agree that I too don't think everything goes with everything. I would say that many things go into the idea of what works together. Some may have a more sophisticated palate/style where certain things placed in juxtaposition appear to clash, or create an awkwardness, uneveness, jarring competition,loss of integration, abscence of flow, and so on. I think there are more commonalities in the brain's ability to perceive these visual challenges than there are differences, but there certainly are differences. In other words I think most of us could agree on what goes with what. I see that here on the forums all the time. We may differ very much on whether our style is classic, bohemian, hipster, etc, but in each of these we would see what works together and what doesn't, some better  and some worse than others. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I have read a lot of posts here, but this one is one of the most judgmental I've read.

Your style is not my style is not the next person's style.  Who is to say what goes with what?  What's this, the World According to You?  

Yes, anything goes with everything in the sense that you pick out what you want to wear every day and put it together with other pieces that you choose. Who am I to say you should or shouldn't have chosen that?  What you feel looks good for you to walk out of your house into the world isn't necessarily what I would choose.   Anything went with everything for your choices, and anything goes with everything I choose for my choices.  

I think that's a great philosophy.  For you to feel you look good in what you wear.

I "got over" the very tailored look someone described here years ago.  My mother wore it and I was brought up with that model of what women should wear. But after wearing it well into my adulthood it just didn't suit me or my personality.  So I put together what I want to for me to be me and it looks good to me.  Sorry if it doesn't look good to you, but to me when I see a tailored-dressed lady I don't think "everything should have gone with that particular everything" yet she did.

As for whether or not you see other people wearing LOGO style clothes in your town - so what?  Do you have to dress like everytone else, or do you dress to suit yourself and your own personality?   I'm not cookie-cutter.  Maybe lots of you wouldn't like what I chose as what goes with what.   I probably wouldn't like what a lot of you choose to go with other things.   But everything goes with anything is what you put together for yourself from all the clothing choices available to you.  So yes, in that sense everything goes with anything.  And too bad if someone else doesn't like it.

Again, this is a very, very judgemental thread.  Live and let live - who are you to say what goes with what?  

@Pearlee***No one is judging you, although you judge plenty of other posters when ever they don't agree with you.

If you want to wear Logo, buy it, no one cares.  You give the impression you have stock in Logo or something.

Lighten up! No one cares!

Respected Contributor

Heck no.

Trusted Contributor

I think our eyes are becoming "used" to seeing things differently from they way most of us were raised, so like everything else, the more it is thrust upon us, the more we accept it.

I personally don't like Lori's designs. I like the colors she chooses in most cases but don't like the designs. 

When I watch a model like Kate for instance in one of Louis' shows, he dresses her (and the others) so impeccably that if I saw her walking down the street I'd turn my head and think wow, that is one good looking woman whose got it going on. 

OTOH, when I see the same model on Lori's shows with 2-3 tops on all hanging out from each other and mismatched pants and shoes, I think wow, what a mess. 

Call it judgmental or whatever you want, they say first impressions are everything and if I was hiring for a corporate firm and saw Kate in LDO, she'd look the part of a successful woman. If she walked in with LOGO, I'd think she was too "out there" for that position.

Of course if she was being hired to work in some other venue then perhaps the LOGO look would be better suited. But so far in my own area, I have not seen anyone wearing that LOGO layered look. And I am out a lot in many environments. 

If that makes me old fashioned, good. I like to retain some things from the past because well, they are still worth it. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

I don't believe everything goes with anything.

I wear what I like, spend what I want, and shop from many places.

I have no problem with what everybody else is wearing, how much they spend on their clothes, where they buy their clothes from.