Honored Contributor

Re: Do puffer coats make you look bigger?

If you are big it is not a good luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

As a 1X I've steered away from these, but they are getting so darn cute.  Any hope for me?  

@depglass   I have one that I thought was cute when I bought it. Every time I put it on, nah! I don't think it's size as much as height. An XL ,if you're tall, gives the quilting more room to "spread out" and gives a longer look. I definitely wouldn't purchase a shorter puffer coat. 

Honored Contributor

I have tried a few on and some do and some don't.  Some designers have come out with some that are more "slimming" if that is what you are looking for. I bought a Galaxy last winter and it is warm but isn't as "puffy" as some others I tried on. 

Honored Contributor

@JanetsGirl wrote:

Check out Amazon Essentials Puffer Coat.  There are long and short versions, around $50 or less.  I have both.  The "puffiness" is not extreme at all.  Warm and water resistent.  Plus -- free shipping and free returns so nothing to lose to try one.  Good luck!

@JanetsGirl  exactly what I have, in the short version.  It almost feels "thin." and very lightweight.  But that thing keeps me very warm!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If you are big it is not a good luck

But don't bigger women get freezing cold in the winter and need a truly warm coat?  I say yes they do...and there are beautiful ones out there.  

My friend never would wear one for as long as I knew her....we met for lunch (pre covid times) and I wore my long puffer Nuage coat in Berry color.  She couldn't stop talking about my coat!  She began looking at and trying on puffer coats at Macy's until she found one she liked with nice detail.  She couldn't wait to show me hers next lunch we met for.  It was beautiful on her and she has struggled for many yrs with her weight and just steered clear of them totally.  Truly they have much better designs these days for all sizes.  

Trusted Contributor

The light weight "packable down" coats do not add as much in girth.  I have a Tommy Hilfiger one in "aubergine", in a chevron cut, that I got on sale and truly love.  It is not for walking in below zero weather in, though.  Not at all what the old down coats used to be, like having pillows strapped to you.  But for the milder temperatures in the 30s and 40s, it is just what is needed. Plus, it actually looks "dressy". 

Honored Contributor

I have my own "puff".Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I only buy those with a herringbone (diagonal) stitching.  I find those to be "slenderizing" as opposed to round stitching.

Honored Contributor

Puffer coats make everyone look larger, even children like my 3 year old grandaughter.  You won't look larger,  you will look like a 1X in a puffer coat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When they first came out and they were all down stuffing (I think) which flattens out to make it look less puffy, my daughter was a size 2 and it made her look meatier.  I was a little glad to see it.  She has always been so thin.