Respected Contributor

Re: Do puffer coats make you look bigger?

They add weight to everyone! 

These coats are not for me.

Honored Contributor

YES, puffer coats make everyone look bigger.

this is the main reason why i avoid any article of clothing that says "puffer."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Larger size women should not be put off by puffer jackets/coats.  The fact of the matter is, regardless of your size EVERYONE looks large.  No one can tell how much is the coat and how much is you.  Check out Lands End.  They offer a huge selection of well-made down jackets, vests and coats.  They also rate the warmth and temperatures they are best suited for.  I am a Size 6 but don’t look that small in down/puffer coats.  I could care less how big I look, just want to be warm.  In addition, they have sales all the time.  Picked up a few last year (short & maxi length).  They keep me warm as toast especially the maxi which was on Oprah’s Favorite Things list.

Respected Contributor

If I lived in a very cold area of the country and puffer coats or jackets would keep me warm, it wouldn't matter to me how I looked.

Keeping warm would be my main objective.

Esteemed Contributor

To me puffer coats look like marshmellos.  I think air must get in chambers, anyway I avoid them.

Regular Contributor

Hi!  Not if you buy the right one.  I own a Kors Puffer and it makes me look a size smaller than I am.  It nips in at the waist, and is fairly fitted.  I LOVE it.  Not all puffers are created equal.

Regular Contributor

Find the right one.  Look for something that nips in at the waist and has an hourglass shape.  

Honored Contributor

Unless you have a tiny head, there is nothing wrong with being bigger or looking bigger.