Respected Contributor

Re: Do clothes make the person?

No. I don't even like it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't believe clothes "make" the person, but I do believe they "make" an impression on people who see you!

I can still hear my father's voice:  "Just where do you think you are going dressed like that?"

Respected Contributor

LOL, No

Respected Contributor

@newname0 I don't think clothes make the person but that they do telegraph or say something about the person on that day such as the red power suit.  I wouldn't feel impowered by wearing that jacket but I might wear something like that on a day I feel impowered. And flamboyant!

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

I notice what people are wearing because I love fashion.  But no, I don't think clothes MAKE the person.  

Doubt that jacket would make me feel enpowered.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. Some of the worst people can be the best dressed, some of the best people don't care about clothes.

There can be a psychological boost to fashion. I feel better when I make an effort to look my best. I have a red blazer that makes me feel good. I feel good wearing dresses. 

I have a Wonder Woman tshirt-got it for a very personal reason and it speaks to me for that reason. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I wouldn't feel empowered but I'd feel even more busty than I already do.  I don't need a bullseye or horizontal markers. 

@Kachina624    I have broad shoulders......that would make me look like a SW airliner ready for takeoff....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@newname0 - I do think that sometimes the clothes do make the person.  Case in point- on a job interview.  If a person is dressed immaculately and appropriately, that will make a positive first impression that has nothing to do with the skill level or intelligence of the person (beyond the basic intelligence to dress nicely). I also think that if you walk into a boutique or other high end establishment dressed in an elevated manner, you will get more positive attention and assistance than if you are not dressed in the expected manner.  In those types of instances, the clothes do "make the person" or at least the clothes provoke "positive assumptions about the person" whether correct or incorrect. A person dressing nicely could be a total jerk, of course. 

Now about that eye-catching statement jacket-- FABULOUS-- for Halloween-- only!  

Respected Contributor

@newname0 

Clothes may not make the person, but they sure do make a positive impression about the person. You remember who is well dressed and kempt! 

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think clothes make the person.  The person makes the clothes.  Not actually makes the clothes, of course, but how we dress is an expression of our personality and character.  We can actually learn a lot about someone without meeting them by observing what they wear.

Someone wearing this jacket is definitely trying to say something, but without seeing what else they'd wear with it, it could be one of several possibilities.

My first impression is a military jacket worn in a futuristic movie about space wars.  

Down here on earth, 

One might be seeking recognition.  It definitely says "Look at me!"

We do feel more confident when we know we look nice, however, I'm not sure this jacket would produce the expected results.