Honored Contributor

Re: Do You get any Fashion magazines?

@ECBG wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Yes .... but they are knitting and crochet fashion magazines.  Some American and some European.  And, their corresponding websites.  

Other than that - lots of catalogs, and emails from everyone under the sun!

@ALRATIBA,I always enjoy what you post and thought you might get a smile out of my story.

When I was a first year teacher, I took a position in a small town in north Georgia.  Family Circle magazine's cover had a beautiful crochet jacket made out of yellow and blue granny squares.  My coworker said she would teach me to crocket and "help" me (later I learned my def. of help was different from hers!).  I must have made a million of those squares!

I put the jacket together wore it a few times and threw it away.  It was very heavy.  I was more than finished.

I admire anyone that has this skill.  I'll have to pass on this one!Smiley Happy

@ECBG

I was a little girl when I learned to knit and crochet.   My dolls were well-dressed!

You'd probably enjoy seeing a long cardigan made with granny squares.  There's a designer named Rosetta Getty.  Her coat was at Nordstrom's ... if I recall correctly it was over $1300.00!   (Google Rosetta Getty granny square nordstrom to see it).

Anyway .... I "reverse engineered" it last year ... it's rather heavy too - but always a converation starter when I wear it!   I've been stopped on the street!

Esteemed Contributor

I have a subscription to Hello! Canada magazine and that has some fashion in it but lately I prefer to buy the British version of Harper's Bazaar. I also will occasionally buy Tatler and Porter as those magazines use nice paper and smell good. With the economic downsizing in the U.S. fashion magazine industry they not only look and feel thin from less ads but the paper they are printed on feels cheap too.

I prefer to look at fashion news websites like

The Fashion Law

Footwear News

Business of Fashion

Retail Dive

Retail Insider

Pret-a-Reporter

The Cut

Racked

Fashion Unfiltered

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal,   Right now I am receiving Marie Claire.  I always like to receive at least one to keep up with fashion and find out about new beauty products.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't for some time now. Used to look forward to my copy of Vogue especially back in the 60'sand 70's when they were so stylish. Canceled my subscription about 15 years ago because I did not like some of the advertising. I'll tell you what I do miss, Style with Elsa on TV. I check out some of the fashion shows on line to see what's going on nowadays.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

I have a subscription to Hello! Canada magazine and that has some fashion in it but lately I prefer to buy the British version of Harper's Bazaar. I also will occasionally buy Tatler and Porter as those magazines use nice paper and smell good. With the economic downsizing in the U.S. fashion magazine industry they not only look and feel thin from less ads but the paper they are printed on feels cheap too.

I prefer to look at fashion news websites like

The Fashion Law

Footwear News

Business of Fashion

Retail Dive

Retail Insider

Pret-a-Reporter

The Cut

Racked

Fashion Unfiltered

This is a great list!  

I also like Who What Wear.