Respected Contributor

Do You Remember Your First Q Forum Post?

I received a pair of Robert Lee Morris (RLM) earrings today (J293817) and it reminded me of the very first post I made in these forums years ago.  There was an RLM TSV -- a round sterling disk pendant with "One World" carved on the back -- and a woman began a very enthusiastic thread about it.  A small but vocal group of women jumped in with a lot of harsh critiques -- essentially making fun of it and anyone who would buy it.  

Well, I thought I was being kind and diplomatic and tried to stick up for the OP a little bit.  I was torn limb from limb. It scared me so badly that I don't think I posted again for months! 

Do you remember your first foray into these forums?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Your First Q Forum Post?

[ Edited ]

I don't remember what my first post was, but it was probably about fashion. I only read others' posts for months and months before I got the courage to post something. 

ETA: Very interesting thread!

Esteemed Contributor

I first posted on the forums in early May, on a Wellness thread about falling apart. I maybe visited the forum three or four times right before it was re-regulated. I got a taste of the nastiness flying back and forth. With the change came all the posts about it being boring and leaving for somewhere new, wherever THAT was, and I finally found the courage to post. Sorry for your initial experience, @islandgrrl, but very happy you're posting once again! Woman Happy

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looking back on it, I now understand how regular posters feel about people with minimal posts -- especially if they are expressing a contrary point of view.  We have all experienced pot-stirring.  But I was soooo surprised by the aggressiveness and the lack of care for hurt feelings.  I remember feeling physically shaken by it.

@MaggieMack I have much thicker skin today!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't recall the topic, but I had a different view than the "click" at the time and I remember being amazed at how nasty and vile the attack on me was, just due to a differing opinion. 

Glad I wasn't thin skinned !Smiley Surprised

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Frequent Contributor

I do remember I jumped in with two feet and started a thread in fashion. 

The title was "Tell Me Your Dirty Little Secret" my secret was that I had to wear a suit or blazer to work and that I only ironed the front of my blouse because I never took my jacket off so no need to iron the back or sleeves.  It was a fun thread.

Trusted Contributor

I think mine was asking about some QVC beauty product, and I think I also had a couple about hosts, too!  Both good and bad!  haha.  One thing I remember for sure was going to the WEN forum and asking for help and being blown away by how nice the Wenner's were and how much they helped me find my right formula.  It felt good when a few months later I was able to help a few new Wenner's myself.  Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

Islandgrrl, I'm sorry about your experience way back when!  Geez!

Respected Contributor

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

I think mine was asking about some QVC beauty product, and I think I also had a couple about hosts, too!  Both good and bad!  haha.  One thing I remember for sure was going to the WEN forum and asking for help and being blown away by how nice the Wenner's were and how much they helped me find my right formula.  It felt good when a few months later I was able to help a few new Wenner's myself.  Smiley Happy 

@TuesdayTaylor The WEN forum is one of the most welcoming places for new posters.  There can be a bit of controversy because of the claims and counter claims over WEN products.  But there are many amazing people like @bebe777 who jump in to help anyone and everyone. bebe reminds me of @lolakimono here in the fashion forum.

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

@TuesdayTaylor The WEN forum is one of the most welcoming places for new posters.  There can be a bit of controversy because of the claims and counter claims over WEN products.  But there are many amazing people like @bebe777 who jump in to help anyone and everyone. bebe reminds me of @lolakimono here in the fashion forum.

@islandgrrl thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate them, and I'm glad that I've been helpful to you. Smiley Happy

islandgrrl and @TuesdayTaylor I really like the Wen forum as well because folks are so welcoming and friendly. lol, I think I was a lurker for 3-5 years before I finally started posting to the Wen forum. 

I hadn't done the MB thing in a a few years and so it took me a while to get my feet wet. -- I try to remember this when someone new asks a question in the forum. When I have the time I do my best to give them a welcome, make them feel comfortable, and let them know that it's an open forum (i.e. not cliquish). And I always heart posts from new posters to make them feel welcome. lol, I heart the stuffing out of the hearts function. 

btw, hi to everyone in the Fashion forum!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy