Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Like Pleats?

[ Edited ]

No I don't. I liked the hip-stitched pleated wool plaid skirt I wore in 1967. Nothing since. Personally I think you need to be model-thin to wear pleats. Any extra pounds distorts the line of the garment. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Yes, I like them very much - on others.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back in the 60's/70's I wore pleated wool skirts with blazers.  Of course i was thin then.

Also remember a pleated chiffon shirt with crocheted sweaer top i wore in the 80's.  The skirt was alot like #5

I sure couldn't wear pleats now but some of the pictures shown are nice on the right person.

Respected Contributor

Love #4, the Ralph Loren wide leg pants. In fact I have a pair that look just like these. They're very flattering with just a couple of pleats.

The other fashions are lovely on the tall, thin models, but they would do nothing for me. Pleats have to be able to, drape and flow, perfectly. That's hard to accomplish if you're curvy.

Honored Contributor

All the models appear to be tall and thin so they do look great on them!  Definitely not for my 5'4" short torsoed, large busted body -  not for me!!

Honored Contributor

In the 60s, I made several shifts just like #12. Cute style.

#7 beautiful 

Unfortunately I'm no longer tall and lanky. My friends called me "spider" because I was skinny.

Like others said pleats look good on others but not me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of pleats....on me or anyone!  I just don't care for the look.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like them, but I just don't wear them. I like the 70s retro look of some of the formal looking gowns in this group. I'd like to see more like that on the red carpet. #22 is absolutely gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some pleats yes and some pleats no. I like the Lauren shorts and the Lauren pants. I'm not a fan of accordion pleats as seen on the green Mango top and pants. I like the pleats on the purse and the shoes. I don't like the pleats on the green Cece dress but I do like the pleats on their gingham halter top. The #16 jumpsuit is my least favorite. The #14 Anthropologie outfit is the exception to my usual thinking...I like it. 

Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

The examples that were posted are exquisite. I think pleats are beautiful until I put them on my body. Then, oopsie!

Unfortunately I am too short and fluffy for pleats to be a flattering look.

Me too!  😁. I like them, but most are not flattering on my figure.  #12 -- the sheath-type dress with the pleats lower would be okay on my body, but most of the time they are not a good look for me.