Honored Contributor

Do You Have to Wear Things that "Flatter Your Figure?"

I keep seeing this and I have never really thought about what "flatters my figure" when I am buying clothes. If I don't look awful in it and it fits, I'm good with it if I like the garmet.

It doesn't have to "flatter my figure."  What is your thought on this?  Maybe I am taking the phrase wrong, but to me it is saying the piece of clothing has to make some feature of your figure stand out. . . or draw attention to it.  It has to draw attention to your figure not just look good. 

If I think something is pretty and isn't too tight or ill fitting, I'll proudly wear it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have to Wear Things that "Flatter Your Figure?"

Yes, I wear things that flatter me. That includes my figure. I have a short torso, so high waist pants and shirts tucked in don't flatter me. 

I have thin hips and legs so skinny pants flatter my figure.

See?

Esteemed Contributor

I definitely like clothes that “flatter my figure!” For me personally, that means clothes that drape well and don’t emphasize my middle in a way that makes me look fat (I’m kind of an “apple”). Clothes that are too thin and skim too much, in contrast, show lumps and bumps too much. I’m actually a size 8/10, but depending how flattering the clothes are, I can look larger, smaller, frumpy, taller, etc. Color is also important. Some colors flatter more than others.

Honored Contributor

For me it's not about how it looks, it's about how it looks on me.

I know what necklines, hemlines, pant and skirt styles work for me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I keep seeing this and I have never really thought about what "flatters my figure" when I am buying clothes. If I don't look awful in it and it fits, I'm good with it if I like the garmet.

It doesn't have to "flatter my figure."  What is your thought on this?  Maybe I am taking the phrase wrong, but to me it is saying the piece of clothing has to make some feature of your figure stand out. . . or draw attention to it.  It has to draw attention to your figure not just look good. 

If I think something is pretty and isn't too tight or ill fitting, I'll proudly wear it. 

@Sooner, I think that somewhere in that sentence, you have implied that it flatters your figure. I don't think that has to mean anything other than that it looks good on you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

For me it's not about how it looks, it's about how it looks on me.

I know what necklines, hemlines, pant and skirt styles work for me.

@VaBelle35  I am glad people are responding because I am learning a lot about how people think about clothing.  I would never think what neckline would flatter me.  If it doesn't bag or sag or choke me, it's a great neckline!  LOL!!!  

Honored Contributor

I hope I don't envoke a picture of Disney's Fantasa hippo wearing a tutu when I put together an outfit!  It seems that we are a generation who cares what we look like and rarely follow a style blindly.

Image result for didney's hippo in a tu tu

Honored Contributor

I would say that I rarely dress WITHOUT considering whether what I'm putting on flatters me.  My figure, my skin tone.

I guess I'm just vain!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think when someone compliments you then take note of what you're wearing. I found out that certain colors and styles gave me more compliments than others. Sometimes it takes the eyes of the beholders to guide you to the right place.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I hope I don't envoke a picture of Disney's Fantasa hippo wearing a tutu when I put together an outfit!  It seems that we are a generation who cares what we look like and rarely follow a style blindly.

Image result for didney's hippo in a tu tu

I have to disagree with your statement about "our generation".  I am willing to bet that most of us had long hair and bellbottoms in the 70s. Big old shoulder pads and earrings in the 80s.  Perms and ugly suits in the 90s.

Following style trends crosses all generations.