Respected Contributor

Do You Have Any Ugly Old Sweaters?

Your Ugly Old Sweaters Could Mean The World To A Shelter Pet

Everyone has a least one or two tucked away in the dark recesses of their closet — ugly old sweaters that, for whatever reason, haven't been worn for years. But instead of hanging onto those neglected garments as a reminder of your lack of style, they could go on to make a real difference in the life of a shelter dog. 

The Washington County Animal Shelter in Tennessee devised a wonderful way to keep its residents cozy and warm over the colder months. For the last few years, the shelter has been appealing to the public to donate unwanted winter clothing so pets can wear them instead.

The shelter does have a heater for when it's extra chilly outside, but it can still be a challenge to ensure everyone is comfortable while they're in the play area outside.

"We have doggy doors that lead to our outdoor cages. Those are left open during the day, which lets the cold air in," one shelter staffer told The Dodo.

Read more HERE.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have Any Ugly Old Sweaters?

@FunkyHulaGirl

Those pictures are just as sweet as can be!  And what a wonderful idea.  I would have never thought that our sweaters could be repurposed for the little sweeties in the shelter. Thanks so much for posting this!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I almost didn't open this thread because I thought it was just another old, "ugly" sweater one. So not! Thank you for posting! I always donate my old bath towels to the shelter, but never considered donating old sweaters. Great idea.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

cute pictures! and what will they think of next!  the sweater idea wouldn't work where i live, but it's a nice idea.  kudos to the person who thought this one up.

Esteemed Contributor

It is a wonderful idea to donate old sweaters to shelters.  This is particularly true of those sweaters which may be pilled, have holes, stretched out, and simply are not suitable to be donated for a person to wear.

While you're gathering those sweaters don't forget your local animal shelters can make use of your old blankets and towels. Woman Happy   

Respected Contributor

Oh, I think not.  Speaking as somone who has owned dogs, I will say that dressing up in silly outifts is a people thing.  The only dogs who would tolerate clothing of any type are dogs who have been raised that way.  They've learned the behavior from puppyhood so they will wear an ugly sweater because it pleases their owner.  Ditto for cats.  Shelter animals don't need our cast off sweaters.  Shelters do need used towels and blankets. 

Respected Contributor

I always thought animals' fur kept them warm.

Honored Contributor

Excellent idea!  Just make sure that the sweaters haven't been stored with mothballs (highly toxic).  Also, for non mothball sweaters,  I'd first wash the sweaters in unscented liquid laundry detergent.  Some dogs/cats are highly sensitive to harsh fragrances.  Lots of good luck to all of the dogs/cats/pets in shelters.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).