Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Ever Go To High Scale Consignment Shops?

Haven't in years - since the one in my neighborhood closed.  I used to take my "gently used" suits and dressy clothes there to sell.  While there I'd snoop and usually find a "new to me" blouse or something.   The gal who owned the place was very persnickity about what clothes and accessories she'd buy.  I could get rid of good clothes I was tired of, and I could buy "new" stuff for myself.  A revolving door of sorts.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@software wrote:

Good finds!

I only go when I need something for a special occasion.   There is a town nearby with a median family income of nearly $200,000 and they have good taste.  The ladies use the consignment shops to buy and sell.   Sometimes I go just to look.   

@ECBG

what town is that software?  That's a very high median income. 

@winamac1The outfit?  It's on her FB.  Look up Linden Consignment Boutique.

Respected Contributor

I too like to recycle as much as possible so I thrift and consignment shop.  Of course there are some things that I don't think I would use, but I donate a lot and hope that others do too.  For example, I looked high and low for a older style Brighton belt that i wished i had bought.  Found it at a thrift shop for $3 in my size and in perfect condition, and I wear it often.   This same belt was about $35 on ebay.  I look at some higher end consignment shops too.  I also donate or consign designer bags and clothes.   I say a little prayer of respect over items I buy "used" to recognize their worth. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was a very nice "high end" consignment shop I frequented when I lived in SoCal...clothing and jewelry in excellent condition...loved that place.

I stop in once and a while at a "mid range" consignment shop in Charlotte...brands that you get at Target, Steinmart, Marshall's, Kohl's...they sometimes have SG or QF, which is how I learned that I didn't especially like these brands, which saved me a lot of browsing time and shipping fees!

I get a ton of books from Goodwill and now and then hit the jackpot on a nice top...new with tags.

@ECBG

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have never been in a consignment shop for fashions.  I have never, ever worn a hand me down item or anything that was used.

I have purchased used wooden furniture, but not interested in upholstered furniture items.

I hate to go into antique shops.  Too many spirits are still attached to their estate goods.

I won't even purchase used wooden furniture.  I'm just so weird about using anything from someone else.that is not new.

SERIOUSLY???? I can afford to shop anywhere I want... buy just about anything..  I do not have a budget and I PREFER to buy something used that can be recycled if it is in great condition.. clothes, shoes,  household goods... It is good for the environment, good for the world.   There are a million can openers at goodwill... why would anyone buy a new one?? So many things donated to be used again.   I am proud when I can reuse and do my part. 

@SeaMaiden@winamac1,Also, there are things I've never had a chance to see!  It's interesting and the items that come in from the LA Boutique are a store, not consignment.

Frequent Contributor

I recently discovered TheRealReal, which is an online site for designer consignment.  I had never heard of them before... I found the site by accident.  They authenticate the merchandise that goes through their hands, so you're pretty much guarenteed that you're not buying a designer knock-off.

I used to buy a lot of QVC's G.I.L.I. fashion line, which included designer-inspired clothing, handbags, and accessories.  But I'm finding that the quaility of the G.I.L.I. items are going down and the prices are going up.

I've discovered that I can get actual designer pieces at a fraction of their original value by shopping at TheRealReal.  It still amazes me that people buy expensive items but then never wear them.  Most of the items that I have bought still have tags on them.

I agree with the other posters that discuss the virtues of re-use and re-cycle.  It's applies to fashion also.  I think that buying consignment items is the smart way to shop these days.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have never been in a consignment shop for fashions.  I have never, ever worn a hand me down item or anything that was used.

I have purchased used wooden furniture, but not interested in upholstered furniture items.

I hate to go into antique shops.  Too many spirits are still attached to their estate goods.

I won't even purchase used wooden furniture.  I'm just so weird about using anything from someone else.that is not new.

SERIOUSLY???? I can afford to shop anywhere I want... buy just about anything..  I do not have a budget and I PREFER to buy something used that can be recycled if it is in great condition.. clothes, shoes,  household goods... It is good for the environment, good for the world.   There are a million can openers at goodwill... why would anyone buy a new one?? So many things donated to be used again.   I am proud when I can reuse and do my part. 

@SeaMaiden@winamac1,Also, there are things I've never had a chance to see!  It's interesting and the items that come in from the LA Boutique are a store, not consignment.

oh thanks!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I've sold some things on the Real Real.  It's a very easy process. 

I haven't bought anything from them though. 

Valued Contributor

There used to be one ~3 mi from my house.  Inventory ranged from St. John's, Chanel, etc. on the high end down to Loft, Chico's etc.

Unfortunately, once the shopping center was updated to accommodate new Kohl's, the rent for eveyone else was jacked up and the proprietor couldn't afford it.  She was trying to relocate to a lower-cost area (good luck w/that in Montgomery County MD).

Honored Contributor

Our town has one, and I have been a couple of times, but frankly by the time you purchase something used there, you could have bought something brand new-the prices are very high in my opinion.I do not care to wear anything used so I just went with my sister and sister in law who love to shop, and of course they talked me into a jacket that is super cute, but I haven't worn in yet and we went there almost 6 onths ago now.......I should have never got it, I think I will give it away.....They do have very nice things-and gorgeous jewelry!