Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Buy Your Clothes at Full Price or....

While I love a great buy, if I like it, I'll pick it up!   

Honored Contributor

I am aways a sucker for a deal.....that saying, I have more clothes than I ever wear and need nothing, I find things I forgot I had bought  all the time.  That is terrible!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

image.jpeg

I have had this sweater since college and no longer wear it. (can you say "vintage" of 40 years?)

It sold for a mere $4.95 and it is HEAVY in weight... it cost as much to ship it.

I think the colors in this are so pretty, but it was popular back in the day of the "skinny ribs!"  Can't you just see this with a pair of bell bottom jeans? 

The blend is raime/cotton... a great blend.

DH says he remembers the "Arizona Jeans Company!"

GREAT VINTAGE MEMORIES FOR ME!!!!

My dear friend from those days had a sweater that she had kept since 6th grade and this made her so proud!  She and I both got a laugh out of that!

DH Took the picture, posted and wrote it up ( how cute-- he is having fun). LOL

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

As Kramer from Seinfeld said "retail is for suckers."

LOL!!!  So true, and if you ever pay full price for clothing you are one. 

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Hi Himi!

I used to buy only on sale, but I ended up with clothes that I didn't really like when I finally got around to wearing them.  Or I was buying only because it was such a great sale price, but I wasn't really in love with it...usually because I bought the only color that was left or the sizing was just okay or didn't fit like it did when I tried it on/bought it or I really didn't need it (but, hey, look at that sale price!). 

I was out shopping the other day and saw a great many nice winter things on sale, but winter is almost over.  I bought one item and wore it the next day...a new litmus test for me:  If I don't or can't wear it within a week, I don't buy/keep it.  I don't want to find out next year that I really didn't love it or that it stuck out in the back or wrinkled too much, etc.

I want the cool colors (not the leftover black), the best clothes (not the cheaper knockoff), the best fitting, etc.  Those are usually found at the beginning of the season and at full price.

Which is not to say I don't shop sales...I do, but not nearly as much.  Now I will also get while the getting is good...something I never did before.

Does that make sense?!

Bingo.  This is why I often dislike sales.  I no longer buy on sale unless it's something I've been watching.  It's much more economical for me to buy three tops at full price rather than six tops on sale.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Himi lover wrote:

Wait until they go on sale?  I'm seeing spring clothes and I'm so tempted to purchase, but then I think, wait until they go on sale.  When do you start buying your spring clothes?

Hi Himi.  I HATE paying full price.  The only items I pay full price for ones I just "have to have", and I'm fearful of waiting due to a possible sell out or for items that don't go on sale often.  I find I will pay full price for a few Anthropologie items and I pay full price for a lot of Lululemon items as they rarely go on sale.    I'll pay full price for UGGS as the styles I like rarely go on sale.  Occasionally for dress shoes, I'll pay full price.  I don't like it though.  

Other than that, I wait for at least 15% to 20% off!  

I'm not into Spring/Summer clothes anyway so I don't pay full price for much from March through July.  I wait or I pass!

Smiley Happy

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I'm with those who say it depends. If it's an item I really want and need I'll buy it. That way I'm almost assured of getting my size and sometimes more importantly the color I want. 

BTW if any forum moderator is reading - these kinds of questions should be able to be put into a poll of choices. 

Respected Contributor

a little and or a lot of both. I have even shopped my own closet . At the change of seasons when trying to organize for the coming season sometimes I rediscover an item that will go with something I hadn't thought of combining before.

Trusted Contributor

I have found that if I LOVE something, it never lasts long enough to go on sale.  If I want it badly enough, I'll bite the bullet and pay full price.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

I buy clothes at the beginning of the season--after lots of them have come in.  I buy in outfits and to mix and match what I get.  I buy a lot and don't go back until they are REALLY on sale to fill in if I need any new pieces

This way I get a good selection, get what I need, and have outfits that go together and can be mixed up.  THat way I don't buy a bunch of disjointed stuff because it is on sale, and wind up with a closet full of this and that and nothing to wear.  

It's the only way I get really usable clothes that for the cost per wearing seem to work out far better for me than buying sale stuff I don't need and that really doesn't fit in with what I have.