Respected Contributor

Re: Do Women still wear pantyhose???

[ Edited ]

I think what's changed is that panty hose are considered a choice.  Some women wear them, some don't.

My granddaughter (17) has never owned any. When she wears a formal gown (short or long) it's without hose. I think she and her friends use self-tanner on their legs if their dress is short. I might  wear sheer hose with a cocktail dress and bare legs with a long dress.

Most people wear socks with athletic shoes from what I've seen. Flats and loafers - thin socks or nothing. Or tights. Many people wear tights in winter, and they go with just about anything. Or panty hose.

Lots of choices!

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't worn SOCKS since middle school - jumped right in nylons and never looked back.  However, since jeans and slacks make my wardrobe now - I still wear them but in the shorter style.  Love love nylon on the legs for winter.

Respected Contributor

I think they should come back into style.   Women's legs definitely look better in hose.  

I wear mostly slacks and jeans but on the rare occasion that I wear a dress I always wear pantyhose.   

When I watch the soaps and see those women impeccably dressed and then they show their bare legs and something is missing from the picture.  

Many women, not matter how attractive, do not have the prettiest kneecaps.   Pantyhose just smooth out the imperfections and make your legs look nicer.

I don't understand the reason that pantyhose have fallen out of favor.   They certainly aren't uncomfortable.    Women squeeze themselves in Spanx to look more shapely but refuse to wear hose.   

I guess it's just a generational thing or a matter of personal taste.   

Esteemed Contributor

When I was still working I wore pants the majority of the time.  If I wore skirts or dresses, in the summer I went bare legged and in the winter I wore tights.  I really don't remember the last time I wore pantyhose. 

Contributor

Most younger women do not in my circle of friends and acquaintances. When wearing sandals the younger ladies don’t want the hose to show on their toes. Applies to dressy open toe dress shoes. Many older women still wear them for many reasons, one being legs they have become unhappy with, do to veins and other issues. Whatever works for you is acceptable for me. I am a woman of age an$ my legs are not bad so I eliminate hose but wh3n it’s cold out I don’t have a problem wearing them. I would however not wear them with open toe sandals

Respected Contributor

I think the British  Royal Protocol  is to wear hose but the younger set appears to go bare legged. It does look more polished. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't know.  I do know though that I've read over and over that Princess Kate DOES wear them and Megan does not wear them.  

Supposedly (who really knows) it's Megan's version of being a modern woman.  Maybe she just hates them..

Super Contributor

Hose are pretty much considered old fashioned and where I am.  You will only see "old ladies" or the fashion-challenged wearing them.  If you have some imperfections on your legs, you faux tan them a little.  It is common to go bare in sneakers and ankle boots as well.  Anything your socks could show in.  The no-show socks can show or slide off the foot.  In winter, if I didn't go bare legged, I would only wear tights.

As for slips, I am very pro slip.  You should not see the silhouette of your legs, which Spanx and Skimmies, etc. don't address.  I prefer a half slip, and have white, black and nude in several lengths.  They can be more difficult to find, but they serve a purpose.  If there is no chance of the garment being sheer, I prefer a pant-type undergarment instead.

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I wouldn't know.  I do know though that I've read over and over that Princess Kate DOES wear them and Megan does not wear them.  

Supposedly (who really knows) it's Megan's version of being a modern woman.  Maybe she just hates them..

This is a common subject on a royal blog I follow,  Both Kate and Meghan wear hose when on official business on behalf of the Queen or the Royal Family.  They can do as they please on their own time.  Meghan absolutely prefers no hose, and Kate goes without as well, but not as often.  Most speculate that it is due to her position in the family as the future queen.  Looking back to photos of her before she was a royal, it is easy to see she had a much more fun sense of style at one time.

Honored Contributor

I’m still wearing pantyhose!