Honored Contributor

You asked what you are missing.  You are missing fun in fashion.  You are missing the idea that clothing isn't just about covering our bodies who we won't be arrested.  You are missing that like most things in life time marches on and styles evolve and change.  Distressed jeans aren't a new trend, not by any stretch of the imagination.  I think we are seeing more of them now because the trend has gone from girls and young women of all ages who choose to embrace it.  It's fun look. Fashion is fun and individualized now.  You are taking something you don't too seriously.  What other women choose should be of no concern to you.  I don't jump on every trend, ripped distressed jeans is one of them.  No because I don't want to appear to be poor...LOL   I just don't like the look but I like people watching and I like seeing how other women put together outits.  I don't insult and bash women who choose to wear things I don't like.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I do not wear distressed anything. Just not my style. 

I would like like to add that just because I do not wear distressed jeans or some other trends, that doesn’t mean I do not enjoy and have fun with my wardrobe. 

I wish more people could understand style & fashion choices are very personal. What one of us likes, another may not. That doesn’t make any of us better or worse than anyone else. 

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@Grouchomarx-- you're able to wear distressed jeans to work?!?  Maybe your boss is trying to tell you something when he jokes and makes comments..... but.... I agree with @this is my nic.    I realize some ladies (and I use that term loosely) don't care if they look sloppy.   For me, I take pride in my appearance, so I don't wear rips and frays.  It's personal choice.   

@tototwo 

So it's okay for you to blatantly insult others for their choice but fine for you to make your own?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@suzyQ3 

Hi SuzyQ!

My question is more than rhetorical.  Let's see if I can explain why this style has me perplexed. 

When my clothes start looking worn, or I just don't wear them anymore, I either tear them up for rags or if they are still in decent condition, no holes, I donate them to the Salvation Army.  I would never donate items that I'd be embarrassed to wear;  if there are holes in the items, they do not get donated.   So, it befuddles the heck out of me as to why, fashion or not, sensible people pay to purchase things that would end up in my rag bag. 

@this is my nic, so then you truly are asking for an explanation; right?

Some people like them. How's that? But of course, you knew that already, so there is no explanation that would satisfy you, which means, yes, it was a rhetorical question.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

A lady wouldn't have posted such a nasty message to @Grouchomarx , so I guess you have nothing to fear  @Grouchomarx 

Honored Contributor

I am not sure how the trend starter and it's cute for young folks; however, 40 and over need to get a grip.  One thing I hate is jeans that are skin tight like jeggings.  They do not look like jeans.  Cigarette cut is the best style of jeans I have seen lately.  However, I am retired and I purchased my denim looking pull on pants from Walmart.  LOL   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Fashion is very personal!  There is something for all of us. We don't all want to be clones of each other now do we.  I can appreciate styles that I would not wear myself.  

Trusted Contributor

There's no point to a cold shoulder top but they were really popular.  I hate them so i didn't buy.  I think distressed jeans are cute so I have a couple pair.  Have you looked at Vogue lately?  There's no point to a lot of that stuff but it's "fashion." Either go with it or don't.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Distressed jeans.

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

@Grouchomarx-- you're able to wear distressed jeans to work?!?  Maybe your boss is trying to tell you something when he jokes and makes comments..... but.... I agree with @this is my nic.    I realize some ladies (and I use that term loosely) don't care if they look sloppy.   For me, I take pride in my appearance, so I don't wear rips and frays.  It's personal choice.   

That's kind of harsh.  You say it's a personal choice, yet you're making a judgement call about women who like something you don't like.  YOU may think distressed jeans look sloppy.  Other people think they look fashionable.  Or they just like them.

"And I use that term loosely" was unnecessary.  We all should be free to wear whatever we like to wear without being referred to in that way.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You asked what you are missing.  You are missing fun in fashion.  You are missing the idea that clothing isn't just about covering our bodies who we won't be arrested.  You are missing that like most things in life time marches on and styles evolve and change.  Distressed jeans aren't a new trend, not by any stretch of the imagination.  I think we are seeing more of them now because the trend has gone from girls and young women of all ages who choose to embrace it.  It's fun look. Fashion is fun and individualized now.  You are taking something you don't too seriously.  What other women choose should be of no concern to you.  I don't jump on every trend, ripped distressed jeans is one of them.  No because I don't want to appear to be poor...LOL   I just don't like the look but I like people watching and I like seeing how other women put together outits.  I don't insult and bash women who choose to wear things I don't like.

This is perfect!!