Honored Contributor

Re: Distressed jeans.

[ Edited ]

I don't understand conservative and what some call classics because the look is usually shapeless, boring and to me seems like a person can't afford better looking and fitting clothing but I just don't wear such things and let those whose tastes differ from mine enjoy what they like.  No right or wrong when it comes to fashion.  I have been wearing distressed jeans since high school and it's not a new look.

It befuddles me why anyone would want the nondescript look that many choose to wear.  Who wants to  blend in with the same old types of conservative clothing?  I like to be unique and make what I wear my own personal style.

Honored Contributor

why do people like to wear tshirts with sparkly pumpkins? we like what we like, everyone likes something different

I like distressed jeans but not a sparkly pumpkin and thats OK 

and it's nice to live in a time where after 50 there are no rules that you must wear such and such 

Honored Contributor

I'm not bothered about what other people wear ,as long as what should be covered is..don't like them ,don't buy them..it works for me

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't life be boring if we all looked the same?? Thank goodness we all have different tastes. I'm in my mid sixties and wear distressed jeans. I have no desire to wear stretchy baggy pants that older people wear. Its too bad we all can't just accept the differences of society.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

why do people like to wear tshirts with sparkly pumpkins? we like what we like, everyone likes something different

I like distressed jeans but not a sparkly pumpkin and thats OK 

and it's nice to live in a time where after 50 there are no rules that you must wear such and such 

I like distressed jeans with sparkly pumpkins😍

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx-- you're able to wear distressed jeans to work?!?  Maybe your boss is trying to tell you something when he jokes and makes comments..... but.... I agree with @this is my nic.    I realize some ladies (and I use that term loosely) don't care if they look sloppy.   For me, I take pride in my appearance, so I don't wear rips and frays.  It's personal choice.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I agree with the OP.  Never cared for this fad, so I just don't buy them.  I like my clothes to be free of obvious wear and tear, if possible.  I don't feel my style of dressing would be considered "boring" either.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Yes, it does need to be explained.  Why do sensible people spend a good deal of money on items that look like they came from a landfill?  Back in the 1960's and '70's jeans were patched with colorful items such as flowers, stars, or just plain patches, they were original and artistic.  Jeans full of tears and holes say "look, someone actually paid for this ripped up item"! 

Explanation...They buy them because they like them. Fashion changes.  I see much worse things than distressed jeans.  Some of the leggings out there look hideous and I see no end in sight.

Yesterday afternoon I was at the doctor's office.  A lady came in with leggings so tight that I could see that she was wearing a very large and very long feminine pad in her panties.  Her top was not long enough to cover her bottom.  I am guessing she was in her 60's. It was not a good look at all.

i don't buy distressed jeans for myself, but I have purchased a few pairs for my granddaughter because they fit her well.  She tried on jeans for hours at many stores until we found a pair that fit.  it's just another choice in her rotation of jeans.

Honored Contributor

I like some distressed jeans but I don't personally care for destroyed jeans. By this I mean where the entire thigh is gone or the entire knee is out of the jeans.  

I also like the distressing to be random.  If the jeans are distressed in a straight line down the front of the leg, that looks too purposeful to me.  

I also think these types of jeans need to fit properly to look the way they are intended to look.  Super skintight heavily distressed jeans where your skin is bulging out the distressed areas looks awful. By the same token overly baggy distressed doesn't look good either.

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@Grouchomarx-- you're able to wear distressed jeans to work?!?  Maybe your boss is trying to tell you something when he jokes and makes comments..... but.... I agree with @this is my nic.    I realize some ladies (and I use that term loosely) don't care if they look sloppy.   For me, I take pride in my appearance, so I don't wear rips and frays.  It's personal choice.   

Yes I can wear distressed jeans to work. My line of work allows any type of dress.  Most people are extremely casual.  My boss is 30 years older than me and openly expresses he does not understand some current fashion trends. So we joke about it. He has no judgement on the way I dress.  It's a source of laughter for us.  He says, did you pay full price for those ripped up jeans, and I always reply no, I paid extra!