Honored Contributor

It's a trend like open shoulder tops.  I don't like or dislike them.  It's not an option for me.  I have too many non work clothes with no plans on buying more.  My 17 year old niece and her squad wear them.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Hi SuzyQ!

My question is more than rhetorical.  Let's see if I can explain why this style has me perplexed. 

When my clothes start looking worn, or I just don't wear them anymore, I either tear them up for rags or if they are still in decent condition, no holes, I donate them to the Salvation Army.  I would never donate items that I'd be embarrassed to wear;  if there are holes in the items, they do not get donated.   So, it befuddles the heck out of me as to why, fashion or not, sensible people pay to purchase things that would end up in my rag bag. 

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@suzyQ3 

Hi SuzyQ!

My question is more than rhetorical.  Let's see if I can explain why this style has me perplexed. 

When my clothes start looking worn, or I just don't wear them anymore, I either tear them up for rags or if they are still in decent condition, no holes, I donate them to the Salvation Army.  I would never donate items that I'd be embarrassed to wear;  if there are holes in the items, they do not get donated.   So, it befuddles the heck out of me as to why, fashion or not, sensible people pay to purchase things that would end up in my rag bag. 

Well. There's your answer. That's you. Not everyone thinks like you. 

I like distressed jeans and sneakers (although I haven't worn distressed sneaks in many many decades). I wore distressed jeans for the past couple of years, but grew tired of them on me. I still like them, though. I see women of all ages (well into their 60s, 70s, 80s) wearing them.  It's a look -- that's all.

I know when someone is wearing distressed jeans and/or sneaks and the rest of their clothes are intact, that it's a fashion choice. If someone is all in tatters, it's probably not a fashion choice. 

Respected Contributor
I like them. You don’t. I don’t care what you think. I dress how I like.
Honored Contributor

Re: Distressed jeans.

[ Edited ]

Guess their better then seeing young girls wearing short, short, short shorts that just barely cover their *****  ROFL

shopping.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I too remember wearing patched up jeans in the 70's and the hems of our bell bottoms were frayed and ragged looking.  But that was then, this is now, and I wouldn't buy overly distressed jeans or anything else for that matter.  When I see jeans that have each knee symmetrically cut away that's the worst. 

Judge Judy made a comment the other day, when the defendant's witness showed up in court with the knees missing from his pants.  She made a remark that "your witness couldn't even remember to cover his knees with his pants" indicating he wasn't a credible witness. 

Distressing comes n goes.  Looks sloppy to me.  I'm not liking distressed furniture either.  I like new.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Yes, it does need to be explained.  Why do sensible people spend a good deal of money on items that look like they came from a landfill?  Back in the 1960's and '70's jeans were patched with colorful items such as flowers, stars, or just plain patches, they were original and artistic.  Jeans full of tears and holes say "look, someone actually paid for this ripped up item"! 

People spend money on them because they like them.  That's the explanation.

Not everyone would think that flowers, stars, and patches were artistic.   That's what you think.  That's what you like.

Fortunately, we're all free to buy and wear whatever we want.  Without having to explain or justify it to anyone.  

Esteemed Contributor

I like distressed jeans. But they were around for ages before I gave them a try. I bought a cheap pair of Mossimo jeans at Target that had distressing on them. I didn't want skin to show through so I patched the underneath. I also looked at distressed jeans in stores to see how they covered up any distressing so that they wouldn't show skin when the holes were on the upper thigh. 

Distressed jeans are a fun fashion. I distress my own jeans now and I don't go crazy with the holes or distressed areas. I prefer a long and narrow distressed area around the knee area as a wide one is uncomfortable when sitting down.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the poster's remark that denim can be boring; however, I don't think making it holes and threads makes it less boring - only makes it ragged.  Obviously, not only don't I like jeans I sure don't like torn up ones.  I truly don't believe I would have even liked them when I was young and had to be in style and trendy.

But evidently many many people like them for some reason as they have been popular for quite a while and are only getting more ragging.  Started out with just a few holes and now some are nothing but treads.  Bet it's cold in the winter!

Honored Contributor

I see a lot of the younger women wearing the jeans with a ton of holes in them and they enjoy them.  It doesn't bother me but I wouldn't wear them.  I do like the jeans that have the frayed hems though.  Yeah, back in my day we did wear cute patches on our jeans - peace signs, flowers, butterflies, etc.  Fashion -- it comes, it goes, then it comes again!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin