Respected Contributor

Re: Difference between XL and 1X?

Plus sizes usually have larger arm holes, different bust line, and larger waist than regular sizing. 

Occasional Contributor

I've noticed that too, and I like it because either will work for me, so less of a chance of being unable to get a discounted item!

Respected Contributor

An XL is a misses size classification and a 1X is a plus size classification.

Honored Contributor

@MM13   Interesting that you should mention this.  Awhile ago I ordered the D&C pull on pants that are so popular in an XL.  They were a little tighter than the XL's I'd previously ordered so I ordered a 1X.  Couldn't really tell the difference.  Fit the same way.  And a 2X would be too big.  Women's sizing needs to be standardized like men's.

Super Contributor

Thanks all for the input...especially those who have validated what I was thinking! I thought I was going crazy...haha

Honored Contributor

I joined QVC in 1996.  I seem to remember on air discussions at the time that one of those sizes was added to the lineup, don't remember which one, the XL or 1X.  Anyway, it was to make the customer feel more comfortable ordering in that middle ground between misses and pluses.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

An XL is a misses size classification and a 1X is a plus size classification.

@Iwantcoffee does then mean that a 1X is similar to a 14W or a 16W?  These numbers are used to denote plus size classification too.  Always wonder how close they are to the 1X and so on.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Pretty much the same, XL is just 1 inch smaller in the measurements.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I joined QVC in 1996.  I seem to remember on air discussions at the time that one of those sizes was added to the lineup, don't remember which one, the XL or 1X.  Anyway, it was to make the customer feel more comfortable ordering in that middle ground between misses and pluses.  

I remember when the Q went from size L to 1X, with no size  XL.  There was a very large gap in the chest measurements - sometimes 6 to 7 inches, from the size large to the size 1X!  So, the customers requested a size XL hoping there would be about a 3 inch difference from size L to size XL, then another 3 inch jump from XL to 1X.  

For instance, when the chest measurement for a size L would be, let's say,  47 inches, the size 1X would be 53 or 54  inches.  The customer wanted a size XL to be a 50 inch, something in between because the difference was so big between the L and 1X.

However, for many years now, there is usually only a 1/2-inch or maybe a 1-inch difference in the chest measurement between a size XL and 1X.   

So, I don't understand why the Q even bothers making a size XL when there really isn't much difference in the XL and 1X.  This has been my experience, anyway.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Pretty much the same, XL is just 1 inch smaller in the measurements.

Right.  And have you noticed the difference between the other sizes, such as S to M, M to L, 1X to 2X, etc.?  Alot more than just one inch!