Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Difference between Boot Cut Pants and Bell Bottoms?

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm a petite, 5-3, size 2 or 4 and I own all styles of jeans. But honestly, I really think what looks best on me is the skinny jean, because of proportion. Simply works best for my small frame. Narrow, baby-boot cut jeans also work well for me. Although I own and occasionally wear the big bells, I just don't think they are attractive on me...it's all about proportion.Woman Very Happy

I'm like you, just one inch taller, and I don't like a wide bottom. I think they make my legs look shorter. And not taller. I like a slim legging type jean with a straight bottom. No flare even..

Honored Contributor

To further complicate things...

Both these jeans are considered bell bottoms (aka flares). But one is a LOW BELL, narrower at the knee and the other is simply a bell bottom, not so narrow at the knee.

Low bell bottom:

download.jpg

Regular bell bottom:

download (1).jpg

Respected Contributor

I dislike bell bottoms but wear my bootcut jeans all winter, esp with classic, loafer- style block heels. The bootcut jeans that I have are subtle, and I am a classic dresser at heart so I still have mine pressed with a subtle crease down  the front. The effect is elongating but you don't see a wide bell coming at you! 

Honored Contributor

Bell bottoms?  Really?   Bell bottoms were from the 60's, the hippie era and when they went out of style, they never came back.  There is no comparison to boot cut.  And even the boot cut that we wear NOW is not anything like the boot cut from 1996 Today's boot cuts are slim through the leg and flair just a bit at the bottom.  It's really quite a slimming style.  I just got the giggles because it ocurred to me that anyone under 50 probably never even heard of bell bottoms...lol

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@JavaQueen,Boot cut pants come down in a relatively straight line from the hip.  

Bell bottoms are more snug around the knee before they come out to form the bell.

Bell bottoms

Image result for compare boot cut and bell bottom pants

Boot Cut

Image result for boot cut pants women

The top ones are flares, not bell bottoms.  I've seen them in the upscale stores but I don't know if they've made down to affordable stores yet.  I predict, we won't be seeing many flairs on the street.  The ones below are a classic bootcut.  My preferred style in jeans.