Respected Contributor

Difference between Boot Cut Pants and Bell Bottoms?

Please don't say "40 years." LOL. 

Is there really a difference, or are boot cut pants bell bottoms with a smaller bell? It looks like they are coming back in style. The ones shown on the Q seem to be what we called bell bottoms. (cringe.)

It looks like they are coming back.

And though I am not a slave to fashion, sometimes you have to go and replace certain items in the wardrobe once they are worn out or too big, etc.. I hate really full legs in slacks.

Thanks for reading..

Trusted Contributor

Re: Difference between Boot Cut Pants and Bell Bottoms?

I will be first to admit I am "fashion challenged" LOL I dont think I am even fashion savy at this point but I think I have a pair of bell bottoms and a few pairs of boot cut. I think (I may be wrong) that my bell bottoms have a very pronounded flare at the bottom but my boot cuts much less of a flare? I hope that is clear as mud right? LOL My bells I love to still wear and have a retro vibe by having contrast print on each side of the bell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is how I understand it:

Boot cut - 1 to 4 inches larger (than garment knee measurement) at leg opening.

Bell (aka Flare) bottom - leg opening is larger than 4 inch difference from garment knee measurement.

download.jpg

Respected Contributor

I always have thought that bell bottoms are M U C H   W I D E R on the bottom than bootcut.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JavaQueen,Boot cut pants come down in a relatively straight line from the hip.  

Bell bottoms are more snug around the knee before they come out to form the bell.

Bell bottoms

Image result for compare boot cut and bell bottom pants

Boot Cut

Image result for boot cut pants women

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the visual. Smiley Happy

This, plus measurements, might help avoid costly mistakes.

Honored Contributor

Boot cut is safe, conservative.  Flares (or bell bottoms...some jeans companies are calling them bells) is edgy risky much like the skinny jeans when they first came out. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a petite, 5-3, size 2 or 4 and I own all styles of jeans. But honestly, I really think what looks best on me is the skinny jean, because of proportion. Simply works best for my small frame. Narrow, baby-boot cut jeans also work well for me. Although I own and occasionally wear the big bells, I just don't think they are attractive on me...it's all about proportion.Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the photos showing the difference.  QVC seems to have mixed up the descriptions of these items.  Bell bottoms are extreme.  Flares are supposed to be a milder version of bell bottoms.  Boot cuts are supposed to be exactly what they say.  They're regular jeans that are cut slightly fuller beneath the knee to accommodate the wearing of boots.  For some reason, there are jeans being sold on QVC that are described as boot cut, but they're actually flares.  The "boot cut" Dream Jeannes are one example.  I was disappointed to receive them and realize how much of a flare they had.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cerb,

Maybe not. If you measure the most narrow part of the pant leg, usually it's the knee, then measure the leg opening and if the difference is 5 or more inches...this is technically a flare aka bell. If the measurment is 4 inches or less then it's a boot cut.

Technically speaking.Woman Happy