Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Ever Leave A Position Because Of An "Acidic" Person?

Fortunately, in my job there was always an opportunity to move to a different department if you needed to, plus, working shifts and different days off all the time meant we did not wotk with the same people each day. What used to bother me was when I would work very hard and my patient would be clean and stable then the next shift would come in and I'd have to hand over my assignment to someone I know was lazy or stupid and wouldn't take good care of them, or when I would come in at the start of my shift and find that my assignment had not been cared for well and I had a ton of catching up to do before I even started my own work. 

Honored Contributor

Life is too short to not work where you love.   I have changed jobs to get out of a toxic environment.   If I could go back & do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

@ECBG wrote:

I know there has to allways "be one hateful one where ever you go.  Having taught for 36 years, I had the "blessing" of working with an older teacher as well as her "pet of all time" who had gotten a degree in the same area.  They drove the teacher before me out and treated her horribly after ridiculing her because she delivered a still born baby!  They were also jealous of her because she was the daughter of a medical doctor!  Then I'm hired.  Blonde and fifty pounds lighter and 70 pounds lighter!  They tried to give me a really hard time.  

After retireing, I did retail, (teachers are "people oriented" and loved it,  I became a top seller after I became very knowledgeable about my product.  A hateful woman was added who litereally tried to run me down and was jealous of my sales.  I got no backup from management and was thretened (major dept. store)!  I left.

I don't do toxic people any more!

Honored Contributor

I have always stood my ground with work bullies whether they be colleagues or bosses. I have told them how I feel about their actions and behaviors. A few were openly hostile and others were passive aggressive. I have never let anyone chase me away, but after 30+ years working I am less willing now to put up with the BS. My current situation may be the "straw the breaks the camel's back". Sometimes you have to make a decision that benefits your mental and emotional health even if that means burning a bridge behind you. 

Respected Contributor

I retired or maneuvered to " take an early out " package not because of a toxic person, but because of a totally toxic work environment.  

After divestiture, it seemed that what was once a " best " managed company morphed into an insane asylum where normally rational, well- behaved managers turned into sneaky, self-centered, power hungry characters.

Having dealt with the transition and foreseeing more of the same, I decided to leave with the package and started my own one-person management consulting company.  I used the advanced management training programs I attended and the multitude of job experiences to train small and large companies in how to develop and empower their employees.  

Subsequently, I collaborated with a major outplacement firm and became one of their top trainers and sought after career seminar leaders.  I also was an adjunct college professor who taught leadership and effective communication skills.

Early in my career I had a boss who suffered a midlife crisis and began an affair with one of my recently hired college technical folks.  They made life extremely toxic for my staff and tried to tarnish my reputation.  I confronted my boss and advised him I had had enough and would discuss all of the events with his boss.  Upper boss said not to worry as I was being considered for a promotion into another part of the department.  Expressed my concern that certain staff would not receive increases due to his vindictiveness.

Got the promotion but still had to deal with former boss's vindictiveness.  As it turned out, he made the mistake of citing another manager from across the state in input to my appraisal for the few months still under him.  My AVP knew the guy, called him, and got the real facts.  AVP apologized to me.  Supported my promotion months later into middle management ( rare for a woman then ) when requested by another VP's organization.

For those dealing with toxicity in the workplace:  it wears you down physically, mentally, and spiritually.  You hate to see Sunday evenings because you know it will start all over again.  Nightmares are not uncommon.

When bullied, especially in public, I have been known to stand up, give the non-verbal "T" sign with my arms, and state calmly but clearly : That is enough nonsense.  Let's get on with the purpose of this meeting.  You and I can discuss your issue privately later.  Thank you.

Sorry for the lengthy post....the topic struck a nerve as I remembered all the suffering a lot of folks went through.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I have never left a position, or company due to "toxic" people or environment. My reaction was always to speak privately with the individual, get it resolved or, if not possible to resolve, just curtail as much as was possible, any interaction between us and continue to do my job. If that did mean I had to interact with that individual, I did, but just to the extent that was needed to get the job done. I never felt threatened enough by anyone to leave my job. Maybe I have just been lucky, or maybe I handled it well, as every place I have ever worked I have always gotten promotions/raises for job well done. I am sorry that this does indeed go on in business, but until it is all done by robots, don't see it ending, human nature being what it is.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Yes I did!  My husband and I worked for the same company and his toxic horrible micro managing boss told him if he were to keep his management job, we would have to move to another state.  My husband is not a micro manager and he meets his goals and his people love him.  My husband quit and immediately got another job.  My boss made fun of my husband over a conference call while I was dialed in from home.  It was directed at me.  I ignored what he said and handed in my notice the next day.  They lost two great employees and they didn't even care.  It was the best thing that happened to both of us and now we live in a nicer state with nicer people on acreage, which we never thought we could afford. 

Trusted Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:

I am dealing with an acidic person now.  Actually she is woman and I find, maybe just my experience, that women can be the toughest especially on other women.  Not ready to leave just yet and luckily she is in a different state but I get a physical reaction when I see her name come up on my phone.

Although my bad work experience was with a woman, over all, I have actually had the best work experiences with female staffers and female bosses. I hired men and women and I had male and female bosses. My favorite employee and my favorite boss of all time were women. I guess in the end it just comes down to the individual.

Of course, there are great people and great bosses both male and female but I feel if we were to tally complaints, there would be more female boss nightmares than male.  Women tend to go on power trips and feel they have more to prove, and perhaps they do.  Women still get paid less than men in this country.

Valued Contributor

I had a nightmare boss (male) at the company where I work. He made everyone who worked under him miserable. He was so unprofessional in meetings, making rude comments, rolling his eyes, giggling etc. Thank goodness he took a job at another company, where I have heard he is impossible to deal with. Never have I ever encountered such a hateful rude person. I really pity the people he supervises now.

Honored Contributor

I never have left a full-time position (I have wanted to), but I have left several part-time positions.  It just amazes me how a person or two can have such a negative influence on a work atmosphere.  Even sometimes if you really bend over backward to make things work or try to avoid the person or persons as much as possible, they just seem to make it their purpose to make your work experience as horrible as they possibly can.  My motto has always been if you don't like someone, just stay away.  But sadly, others don't feel that way.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've left a position because of another's toxic personality, and yes, there's always one hateful, bullying co-worker no matter where you work or what your job.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt