Honored Contributor

Did You Ever Leave A Position Because Of An "Acidic" Person?

[ Edited ]

I know there has to allways "be one hateful one where ever you go.  Having taught for 36 years, I had the "blessing" of working with an older teacher as well as her "pet of all time" who had gotten a degree in the same area.  They drove the teacher before me out and treated her horribly after ridiculing her because she delivered a still born baby!  They were also jealous of her because she was the daughter of a medical doctor!  Then I'm hired.  Blonde and fifty pounds lighter and 70 pounds lighter!  They tried to give me a really hard time.  

After retireing, I did retail, (teachers are "people oriented" and loved it,  I became a top seller after I became very knowledgeable about my product.  A hateful woman was added who litereally tried to run me down and was jealous of my sales.  I got no backup from management and was thretened (major dept. store)!  I left.

I don't do toxic people any more!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Did You Ever Leave A Position Because Of An "Acidic" Person?

I am dealing with an acidic person now.  Actually she is woman and I find, maybe just my experience, that women can be the toughest especially on other women.  Not ready to leave just yet and luckily she is in a different state but I get a physical reaction when I see her name come up on my phone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. After years of receiving great performance reviews from several bosses, I was working for a new person, which I looked forward to. Almost immediately, she began going after me and my department.  I don't think that way, I did not work that way. I don't play games. It was shocking. Nothing I did was right. She even had me fire two of my staff.  I did not complain behind her back, I worked WITH her, I kept to the high ground, I looked for what I could respect about her talents and work, but it was miserable. I thought, "I will leave eventually -- but on my own terms." She was an oddly insecure, jealous person, and I think my very competence drove her crazy. And she even said something to me once about what she called "your proper, sorority girl manners." Huh? Jealous of good manners? How do you fight that! You don't.  I never took the bait. I did everything I could to support her and her goals. I think she would have gotten rid of me but I gave her nothing to use against me. Success is the best revenge. Eventually, she left me more or less alone and went after someone else. She always had someone she was plotting against. I never said a bad word against her. After three years, the perfect job came up, I went after it, and I got it. In my final performance review from this woman, she wrote that she finally saw that I "was behind her all the time." I am proud that I kept quiet, I did not gossip about her behind her back, we did some good work together, and I survived with my integrity intact. I still do not know why she went after me. 

Respected Contributor

I am retired now but I can tell you the last ten years I worked were absolutely hades on earth because of one woman.  There was no one and I mean no one who could get along with her.  In all of my life I have never met someone as bitter, hateful and two faced as this woman was.  After I retired, they finally fired her.  I heard about twenty-five people went to a local bar and celebrated her departure.  Some of the things she did were unethical and immoral.  I retired early mostly because it was time and partially because of her.  I just couldn't take it.

Respected Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:

I am dealing with an acidic person now.  Actually she is woman and I find, maybe just my experience, that women can be the toughest especially on other women.  Not ready to leave just yet and luckily she is in a different state but I get a physical reaction when I see her name come up on my phone.

Although my bad work experience was with a woman, over all, I have actually had the best work experiences with female staffers and female bosses. I hired men and women and I had male and female bosses. My favorite employee and my favorite boss of all time were women. I guess in the end it just comes down to the individual.

Respected Contributor

I once tried to leave a job because I had a sadistic supervisor who enjoyed making my life miserable, but couldn't find another job at the time. My supervisor was eventually transferred somewhere else, which made me love my job again. 😃

Respected Contributor

I am a nurse who works in a public school. Even before I became a nurse, I have worked 2 jobs as I was a single mom with a son. For the past 15 years I've worked part time at a nursing home, mainly on weekends, evenings and days in the summer when school is out. As goes the health care field, I've seen a lot of supervisors come and go. They hired a new assistant director of nursing, a man who gets his kicks on looking down on the staff "below" him. He's so rude. At staff mtgs he never has one nice thing to say, but just goes down his list of everything the nurses and nursing assistant are doing wrong. They are so short staff that girls are working 5 - 12 hour shifts a week. I did not have to deal with him much, but I resigned yesterday. At this time in my life, my son is grown and in college. Right now my car is paid for, so I said heck with it. I can't stand to watch people be treated like this. If I feel the need for extra money there are other places I can work. 

Respected Contributor

In my 25+ years of teaching, I endured several female principals. None of them supported my efforts. It was tortuous, but I kept going because I enjoyed the students. Now that I'm retired, I look back on those struggles and still shudder.

Honored Contributor

In a career over 35 years in the field of education, I was typically liked and respected by my administration, but twice, I had horrific situations, and one resulted in a suicide.

In both of the situations I stopped teaching for nonrelated personal reasons, but always marveled at the fact that I was spared any more contact with the two bullies.

I was always hired subsequently based on my own record, went back into positive work environments and resumed teaching until I retired. 

It AMAZES me that school administrators STILL attempt to "improve education" by bullying, but it DEFINITELY STILL HAPPENS.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I'm an adult.  I have been one since I was 18.  There is no way that stupid stuff like that could ever force me to leave a job or anything else. Like it or not bullying is what  humans do, at all ages.  An adult confronts and deals with it.  The one thing common to all bullies is that when you get in their faces and confront them, they back down and seek other more willing victims.  At heart, they are cowards.  I have always been overweight, sigificantly at times and I once worked with a woman who made fun of me behind my back and "poked' at me during team meetings.  I ignored her.  Then when I entered a meeting room, she made a big deal out of "helping' me by looking for a chair that would "fit" me.  I never had any trouble with chairs but this was her way of trying to humiliate me.  It did embarrass me but I knew I had to put an end to her.  So, I thanked her for her consideration.  And then, I went on the offensive and it lasted a week.  I'm the eldest of 5 kids.  I know how to torture people...lol  In that meeting, I went into my purse and took out a dentist's card.  I loudly gave her the card and told her that he was a great dentist, he'd be able to straighten out her bottom teeth and he could probably do wonders with all that yellowing.   She had been a smoker and had yellow teeth and I knew she was self consious about it.    I knew she had dropped out of a college course she had been taking and at that meeting I loudly told her how sorry I was that she found the course difficult and was forced to drop out.  I volunteered to help her if she took at again, since I got an A in it.  Everyone knew what I was doing and later they told me how amused and happy they were by it because she deserved it.  So, during that week, I threw verbal jabs at her every chance I got.  I mentioned how happy her ex husband looked with his new fiance and strong she was for being able to  face the humiliation. The ex and his fiance worked at our company too.    I wanted to let her know that we all knew he'd dumped her for a young woman.   We all new she didn't leave him.   Like all of us, she had "stuff" in her life and I not so subtly threw it all in her face, every chance I got.  For a week.  She never spoke to me again.  But she never bullied me again either,  And then she transferred out of our dept.  I like to think she learned something from that.  Sure, I've worked with people I didn't like and one othe time, Some mean spirited people. You deal with it, it's life.   I had to have a closed door conversation with a woman.  Basically, it was a "cut the @#$%% out!" conversation.  And she left me alone and found another victim.  Turning tail and running is just not my style.  Otherwise, you find yourself 65 years old and still mentally reliving it all.