Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diary of a Restyled Fashionista...

Thanks @tiny 2   It's great to see you, too!  I still wear my "Tiny 2 Knot" (do you remember?)!!  :heart::heart:

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

This outfit survived the purge...not that the cool handbag was in any jeopardy!  I wear it on super casual days around the house, but can still go out and feel good.

Clara Sun Woo...I think this is the only asymetrical hem left in my closet.  It's a thumb-sized, smudged (stylized) rosebud pattern.

Women With Control, lace panel pull-on.  Length was an inch shorter than click here measurements (surprise)...should have returned, but roll cuff to an okay length.  Very comfortable.

Black Crocs

Woven leather handbag, black/white/brown, old

20190809_153001.jpeg

20190809_152400.jpg

@MacDUFF 

Too cute.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ILTH 

The funny thing is that the effortless look came as an unexpected bonus to the purge.  I ended up with an uncluttered closet and an uncluttered look.  :yahoo:

This was especially true for dreaded summer clothes.  I bought into the sales pitch from so-called stylists about "third or completer pieces."  But I ended up looking like I was trying too hard or looking too cluttered...superfluous is a perfect description.  

I understand (and like) maybe one :biggrin:completer piece in transitional weather and winter, but I do not need anything extra thrown on when the weather is hotter than Hades (others' mileage may vary)!!

Thank you, ILTH!

Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF  I love everything you have worn... Definitely my style and colors.   You're my fashion idol!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF 

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.”  Coco Chanel

That's how I feel.

But, my good friend piles stuff on and, somehow, it does work for her. She does it well and it fits her personality. 😃 

She has an innate knack and good eye. 

She, too, looks effortless when she does it. That's the key. Effortless.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry   @beautybee 

The vol position at the thrift store is indeed lots of fun, and it's a blessing to have access to so many great clothes at more-than-affordable prices.

When I was forced into retirement, we really missed the income, and I was bored to tears.  My first thought was to apply at some of the stores I shopped (note past tense:giggle:), but I hated the idea that I had to buy/wear their brand as a condition of employment.  :tdown:

One of the things I like about the Q boards is that it's a place to chat/read about fashion, which is a nice distraction.   I'm mostly here for the fashions...same with my "unpaid job."

The store is a microcosm of the boards.  I think of my fellow volunteers as equivalent to posters and the managers as the mods.  We have been told in no uncertain terms which subjects cannot be discussed! :p

There are some interesting parallels. About 95% of the vols are women between the ages of 50 and 75, with a handful of women in their 20's and 30's and one lady who is 85.  We come from all backgrounds and financial situations and, really, every imaginable difference, including style.   There are about 90 vols. 

Obviously, all the vols love fashion, and we discuss all the same kinds of fashion topics as are found here from what Duchess Kate wore to what we love/hate about brands to mixing patterns to the fabric/fabrication debate...you get the picture.  

It's a miracle that no one gets bent out of shape or whines when, trust me, the snark and the jokes and the opinions fly about brands or colors or "looks."  It's not heaven, but no one intends to be ugly or hurtful.  Mostly, we're just a bunch of opinionated fashionistas with different fashion and communication styles.  Sound familiar?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
About my vol position...

I'm a cashier one afternoon a week and work in the back another afternoon.  I really love the backroom.  I'm one of a few who sort thru the clothing intake bin.   The mods...I mean managers :biggrin:recognized right off that I was well-versed in all things fashion, so they give me free-rein.

Anything whatsoever wrong with an item...pilling, wonky seams, dirt, holes, fading, stains, smells...anything...we've been told to be ruthless...even if the consensus is an item is just "ugly"...they go out the back door for Amvets, local churches (all denominations), and women's shelters.  (It's kind of like The Purge on a larger scale! :lol:

When an item passes my ruthless inspection, I separate seasons.  If I have time later, I price and restock the floor.  The majority of clothes/shoes/handbags/scarf prices range from $1 to $12.  These items include items from Walmart to Chico's to JJill to Talbots, etc.  All jeans, recently including AG, vintage Levi's and Paige (all of which I tried on...didn't fit :crybaby:) are $5.

Designer/vintage items are priced higher.  Prices for Eileen Fisher, Adolpho, Anthro, St. John, Fly Londons to name a few recent offerings, range from $30 to about $100.  The most expensive item I've seen since I started working there 9 months ago was a pair of Manolo Blahnik heels (that were TDF) for $150. :girlsigh:

Last year, we received a gorgeous pink St. John sweater in a very tiny size xs (we think someone accidentally shrunk it).  Because it was so insanely tiny, it ended up at the end of the season on the $1 rack.  We were all sick about it!!  One of the managers bought it for her niece because she couldn't bear for it to go to Amvets.  Somewhere there is a 10 year old fashionista-in-the-making riding her bike wearing a TDF pink St. John sweater!  Image result for Thud Emoticon GIF   I. Kid. You. Not!!!!

Proceeds go to anyone in our community who needs help in crisis situations (our founder is a certified social worker) and to local schools (supplies in backpacks for kids).  We have food, diapers, household necessities, blankets, etc. on-site.  The clients are in a crisis situation (e.g., lost job, spouse deserted, house burned down).  Those who are deemed in a chronic situation (e.g., alcoholics, drug abusers, mental illness) are eventually referred to outside agencies.

We have a reputation in the community for being more like a boutique than a thrift store...in fact, we call it the community boutique.  It sounds pretentious, but it really is a wonderful boutique-like shopping experience.  It's not the local Goodwill, I guarantee you. We have jewelry, household goods and books/media sections, too.

It's a faith-based organization, and I just love working there!  I just have to stay on-track and remain strong! :lol::lol::lol:

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @Junebug54   :heart:  I don't know about "idol,"...they have such a tendency to crash and burn!! :lol:...but if I've inspired you in some way, I'm happy!

Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF 

Hi MacDuff,

I stumbled onto your original post of “Curating MacDuff’s Closet”. Yep, I read ALL of it-all 74 pages. I love cleaning closets and often help my friends put together outfits. Sometimes it can be harder when I do my own closet as I’m not as ruthless. 😀

Now I’m  enjoying your “Diary of a Restyled Fashionista” blog. Something you said in one of these posts stuck with me. “If you’re planning to retire in a few years, don’t buy new work clothes. Stretch your wardrobe. You’ll thank me later.”  I have the ability to take any early retirement from teaching in 2 years when I turn 55. I don’t know that I will retire then, but it’s nice to have options. 🤞🏻

I always dress nicely for work, but the environment is certainly much more relaxed than when I began back in 1987. (Good gravy-that was last century!!!!)

Anyway, I was out shopping today and saw a few nice pants for work. Your post was reminding me that I have enough work clothes and don’t need anymore. After shopping for work attire for over 30 years, it’s a hard habit to break. And I love to shop.

So thanks for helping me today. 😉

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Lisa Y 

You can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!  :yahoo:I still gravitate to the work clothes when I'm shopping...old habits die hard.  Thanks for doing all that reading, too!