Honored Contributor

Re: Diary of a Restyled Fashionista...

@MacDUFF wrote:

This is another way I wear the Chico's blouse and Bobbie Brooks skirt...with Converse Jacks and E. Lucca handbag...

20190809_151228.jpeg

Another fav...oh boy you really got it right for your body type and coloring.I wish you could give us all shopping lessons weekly.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This outfit survived the purge...not that the cool handbag was in any jeopardy!  I wear it on super casual days around the house, but can still go out and feel good.

Clara Sun Woo...I think this is the only asymetrical hem left in my closet.  It's a thumb-sized, smudged (stylized) rosebud pattern.

Women With Control, lace panel pull-on.  Length was an inch shorter than click here measurements (surprise)...should have returned, but roll cuff to an okay length.  Very comfortable.

Black Crocs

Woven leather handbag, black/white/brown, old

20190809_153001.jpeg

20190809_152400.jpg

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

I'd love to go shopping with you and give you some pointers, but first...

we're going to purge your closet!!   :amazed::nuts::p

Esteemed Contributor

BTW, I stopped buying summer clothes about 3 weeks ago.  I'm immune to 95% of sales tactics I tell ya!!  :coolio:

Have a great evening...back in a few days.  :drinks:

Esteemed Contributor

Yup, the psychology of shopping. I think we all get hooked in at one point or another.

I watch youtube videos on beauty and some fashion (but mostly beauty) and one of the young millennial youtubers that I like is Hannah Louise Poston.

Her youtube channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIRfnlVyoIYEGRmH2CVJffw

She did a no buy year to pull herself out of credit card debt but her no buy year is over and now she's dealing with her feelings of how that no buy year affected her and how transitioning into a normal spending lifestyle has transformed her.

The no buy year did put the brakes on her overspending and the shopping addiction that she has and she has an interesting video on how she is doing now including therapy. She discusses why she liked to shop so much and the voids in her life that shopping filled or tried to fill.

Hannah is a delightful person, she's a thoughtful writer, an author, a tango dancer, she makes dance costumes as her main business and she's been a small beauty youtuber for more than a year and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oey08JRwUoQ

HOW MY NO-BUY YEAR CHANGED MY LIFE | Hannah Louise Poston | MY BEAUTY BUDGET

Valued Contributor

@TY  Thank you so much for posting that link to her channel. I will start watching them today. I am not a big clothes and makeup shopper but I find the psychology of shopping and marketing to the masses so fascinting.

@MacDUFF  You look fabulous in all your outfits. You are so fortunate to have a thrift store that sells such pretty clothing at great prices. The thrift stores in my area are generally walmart castoffs. Most times I am better off buying new, but I would prefer going to a place like yours.

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF, I am so glad to see that you are back. You have surely been missed and look at you now! Your outfits are so lovely and you look great. I have missed your wit and special way of expressing yourself. Welcome back!!! Heart

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF 

I know you put a lot of time and thought into your new wardrobe, but, what I like about your outfits is that they look effortless. Nothing superfluous (Some people confuse minimal with stark.  That's not always the case). Nothing self-conscious. Nothing too try-hard. Just very chic (wish that word hadn't been ruined by overuse).

And youthful.

Honored Contributor

Ah @MacDUFF  you remind me of the years I spent volunteering  at our Thrift Shop and  what fun it was

Esteemed Contributor

@TY 

Thank you for posting the link to Hannah's Year of No Buying.  I watched part of it and will eventually watch it all. 

I thought buying only 3 items last summer was austere...I won't even pretend I can go a whole year without shopping!  Good for her.  (She is a lovely young woman who does not need all that heavy make-up...JMO.)