Respected Contributor

Re: Diary of a Restyled Fashionista...

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF   So delighted to discover you in Fashion!

@TY1  @DiAnne   @Zanna   @Hippiified   @DukeBlueNan   @cherry   @snoop   @Bri369   @SilleeMee   @lulu1   @Trinity11  @ILTH   @Sadiesadie   @KittyLouWhoToo  @lolakimono   Thanks for your wonderful shared fashion insights!

You said:

I realized I was living proof of the old saying that we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time.  My lifestyle has been predominately casual for 25 years...I needed maybe 5% of my wardrobe to be special occasion, so what was the other 75% all about?? 

I had a lot of really cool items that I "loved," but that were limiting in some way or another.  I had a ton of cute clothes that I purchased on great sales, but just didn't wear all that often.  I joke in the original purge thread about all the clothes I bought and/or kept "just in case."  Just in case...what??

It's not even dawn yet in California, but I'm wide awake reading your fashion insights and adventures. And everyone's comments on the thread!

As a university professor, I have also taught units on persuasion, which led to units on the Science of Shopping and the psychology of clothes. You have managed to stumble into some solid findings about how we get trapped into a never-ending cycle of buying things we don't actually end up wearing. (*Tags still on, never worn!) That cycle is seductive. Addictive.

You broke free!

All the clothes I bought/kept JUST IN CASE. Just in case WHAT??? So insightful. I suspect everyone of us has enough "just in case" items (all quite lovely) to fill a small closet. But psychologically it is indeed hard to discard (even benevolently) perfectly good clothes that are lovely. Our ancient brains are programmed to store things. Gather, keep, store. Famine could be coming! They might never make that Thing again! It would be so perfect for that elegant event that hasn't actually happened in YEARS! And "it would be a waste of money to get rid of it" (our mother's voice, "get some wear out of it, dear").

For everyone trying to break free, don't beat up on yourself for sliding! (After all, this Thread itself is, actually, on a shopping channel.) Our brains are still hunter-gatherer brains. We love the hunt; a surge of dopamine (big pleasure chemical) keeps us pursuing items, which FEELS GOOD. Hunt-pursue-obtain!! The dopamine surge STOPS the moment we get the item. 

Purging has no pleasure brain chemical. It survives on serotonin, a well-being chemical. Happiness as well-being. So your adventures help motivate us all.

Changing jobs or retiring creates a pile of fashion that we will not be wearing again. Most of us also change our style tastes when we retire or change jobs. (I went from trial attorney, to academic, now wistfully looking forward one day to Retirement.) We stop choosing items because we just aren't the person who chose those Things, way back.

Congratulations to everyone who gives away lovely items they did NOT wear at all, or only once.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF   You are as radiant and beautiful as ever.  It's so very good to see you online Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

This is one of 3 summer purchases I made last summer...part of my quality over quantity "rule"...

Equipment star blouse, slight bell cuff (they don't get in my soup ;)), silk, fantastic price at the Rack, working buttons along sleeves and sides.  The surprise for me is that silk is not too warm for summer...I wear it a lot.

G Jeggings, old

Sam Edelman blue/white stripe criss-cross sandals, old

20180805_153649.jpeg

20190809_150208.png

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF Well look what the cat dragged in!!! 😂 Missed you lady. Was wondering what happened to you. Welcome back! (Say hi to SoFlorida for me plz if you 2 keep in touch.)

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach   @Bird mama   @Bri369   Thank you!  :heart::heart::heart:  Bri, that bag is a one-in-a-million thang.

@1Professor 

Madison Avenue knows full well what it's doing.  The psychology of shopping is a real eye-opener.  Retail therapy is indeed seductive and addictive. I used to joke about it until I looked deeper.  I still enjoy the occasional "dopamine rush," but it's no longer a monkey on my back (so to speak).  Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative post! 

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF So good to see you again! You look great.  I really love that star shirt!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:
This is a color I would not normally try at retail prices.  It's a bleached stone color or a light putty. 

I've never owned anything from Coldwater Creek...prices too high.  The quality is superb, and the color is wonderful for summer. 

Thrifting gave me the opportunity to try the trendy all-neutral look without spending a bundle.  This color looks fantastic with black, too.  Pfffffft on all the so-called "color experts" who said I couldn't wear this color.

I've embraced the wide-leg crop for summer...they have a breezy, beachy vibe and are comfortable and cool.

Top:  Coldwater Creek, thrifted ($3)

Bottom:  Supplies wide-leg, Rack (I dropped the hem and gained about 3.5 inches, making them perfect)

Shoes:  Clark's Cloudsteppers, Nordstrom dotcom

Jewelry:  Necklace about 2 yrs old, all other jewelry is very old (cost per wear = free)

20190812_224013.jpeg

I loooobe this look on you.Wow you look sooo fantastic.I can’t believe that just getting a wardrobe right can take someone from good to amazing.

Esteemed Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom 

:lol:  Yeah, it's me!  Great to see you...hope all is well with you and yours.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

Thanks!   :heart:

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee 

Thank you!   :heart: It's good to see you again.  Yeah, that star blouse...I feel like a star in it!  :biggrin: