Trusted Contributor

Re: Diary of a Restyled Fashionista...

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

@ILTH 

I hear ya...warm colors don't do me any favors either.  Agreed with your previous post that most people can look in the mirror and know what colors look/feel right.  I don't think you need an "expert" to tell you, especially one who is trying to sell you something.   I love the vivid, colorful artwork on Burch's totes!

I might take for granted that most people can tell right away because I can. Color is second-nature to me.  I'm a portrait and landscape artist, and sculptor. 

I guess there are some people who really don't know what they're seeing. But, I think too many people complicate the color issue when it comes to getting dressed. (I know why colors look bad or good, about reflected light, about how primaries, secondaries and tertiaries work together to make new colors or cancel each other out -- all of which are how and why skin color and clothing color look good or bad -- but ------)  Hold the item up to your face. If you look grey, it's not your color. If you look healthy, it's your color. IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, IT'S YOUR COLOR NO MATTER WHAT!

I cringe, though, when I see people who dye their hair with the wrong color and temperature for their skin. I don't judge anyone on their clothes, makeup, hair,  jewelry, piercings, etc.  But, if someone is dying their hair (other than fun colors like blue, purple, pink, etc), obviously they're doing it to try (in their minds) to look better. When I see someone who has it all wrong, I really really really want to let them know because they don't look better. But, I don't. 😃

But, I also think a lot of people take all this too seriously.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much @beautybee  and @RetRN  :heart::heart:

As to your questions, which were similar...

One thing I remember vividly a few months before the purge was going on a rampage throwing out drape and fly front cardis.  I saw a pic of myself in one and could not get over how awful it looked on me.   

Another time, I was cleaning my closet and realized there was a black hole where a shoe rack didn't quite meet the wall.  I move the rack and found a few things, new with tags, that had fallen into the black hole.  I could not believe that I bought them, never wore them, and didn't even realize they had gone missing.  I had never done that before!  Light bulbs started going off over my head, and I started asking myself all kinds of questions about my shopping habits. 

I realized I was living proof of the old saying that we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time.  My lifestyle has been predominately casual for 25 years...I needed maybe 5% of my wardrobe to be special occasion, so what was the other 75% all about?? 

I had a lot of really cool items that I "loved," but that were limiting in some way or another.  I had a ton of cute clothes that I purchased on great sales, but just didn't wear all that often.  I joke in the original purge thread about all the clothes I bought and/or kept "just in case."  Just in case...what??

I couldn't stand the clutter another minute and hated the chore of it all!  angry.gif

Also, I knew retirement was on the horizon, but at the time of the purge I had hoped to work another 4 or 5 years...except that my employer sold the business halfway thru the purge.  One of the things I always tell people:  If you're within a few years of retirement, stop buying work clothes.   Make do...stretch it out.  You'll thank me later. 

I knew that the same ole, same ole "mini purge" that we all do periodically was not going to help me.  I needed to do something major. 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 

My Mom would be pleased you said that (thank you).  I can still hear her voice saying, "Stop slouching!" I admit to being hyper aware of posture when taking pics, but, by the end of the day, trust me, I'm slouching (don't tell my Mom)! Love the LB dog tote...such beautiful colors.  They really are fun!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Tique 

Thanks so much, tique.  It's wonderful to chat with you again!  Hope you are well.  :hugs:

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote

Just don't pay attention when the bag goes missing at the same time as the sneaks.

:lol:

Fashion tip:  Don't wear them together!

@QueenDanceALot 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sadiesadie   @newtoallthis 

Thank you!  :heart::heart:

Esteemed Contributor

World's least expensive outfit, head to toe!

I double-dog dare ya to top this (with purchased items)...

Top:  Chico's, thrifted $1.50

Skirt:  Bobby Brooks, thrifted $1.00

Shoes:  Lauren by RL espadrilles, thrifted, $3

Jewelry:  All over 20 years old...cpw = free (IIRC, necklace is Premier, thrifted ages ago.)

Handbag:   Lucky Brand, straw (I guess).  This one has a story:  I finally find a red summer straw bag I love at the Rack.  It's priced at $60ish...something like 50-65% off.  I take it to the cash register and it rings up as...drumroll...one cent!  The cashier and I gasp and look at each other incredulously for a few seconds.  She rings it up again...one cent.  Calls the manager over...rings up as one cent.  Manager says, "This is your lucky day, girl!"  Yep, I kid you not...$0.01 for this handbag!!!!

With tax, my $5.91 outfit! :yahoo:I'm baad, I'm baaad, I know it!!

20190823_022430.jpeg

20190825_214704.jpeg
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is another way I wear the Chico's blouse and Bobbie Brooks skirt...with Converse Jacks and E. Lucca handbag...

20190809_151228.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I just found this thread and realized how much I'd been missing MacDuff's closet tales.

A year-long purge is not a light undertaking.  It takes grit, focus, and stamina!

It's great to see you back, @MacDUFF 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF, I love the skirt both ways.  The red espadrilles are adorable.

One cent for a handbag.  Why can't I ever get so lucky!