Esteemed Contributor

Diary of a Restyled Fashionista...

Hello to old Q friends and new!  :wave:

I hope you all are well and happy.  Long time, eh?

I thought some posters might like to see how The Great and Amazingly Tedious Year-Long Closet Purge turned out.

When The Project thread ended in March 2018, I spent a few more months purging/refining (not a whole lot...there wasn't much left :lol:), and taking stock of what I had left and what I needed.  I purchased a few summer things last year, but mostly slogged through the season with what remained in my closet.  (I had a blast last year filling in the blanks for fall and winter, though!)

Here's a link to the purge thread in case you'd like to check it out...so many posters were instrumental in helping and encouraging me, especially @DiAnne who suggested my wimpy shoulders looked best in collared shirts (thank you...you have no idea how much that little tidbit helped me!), and a very nice lady :heart: in SoFlorida who no longer posts here who inspired me to choose quality over quantity.  Lots of good advice and inspiration in this thread, too.  And thanks to the mods for locking it for me...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diary of a Restyled Fashionista...

[ Edited ]
After I tried on every single thing in my closet/drawers (and donated 3/4 of it), I've successfully stuck to all...okay, most of the rulez I established (that some of you made fun of...you know who you are!).

I pay no attention to sales associates (who seem to all fancy themselves professional stylists :whut:) who are trying to sell me something.  And the fashion "influencers," designers, and trendsetters are just spitting in the wind.  Sales tactics bounce right off of me. 

I wear 80% of my clothes 80% of the time, which was one of my main goals.  

I can wear almost every top in my closet with white, black, or any wash of denim, which are the colors of almost all my bottoms.  

It's easy to change up an item for any occasion by changing bottoms/tops or shoes or jewelry.  I can see everything I own at a glance because my closet is still well-organized and not bursting at the seams, I'm proud to say.  I no longer (and never will again) look at tons of clothes and say "I have nothing to wear." 

I'm having more fun with fashion now than I ever have.

The amount of money I've saved in the last two years is sooooo stunning that I have to be careful not to beat myself up over all that wasted, hard-earned money I blew for years before the purge.  Shopping is easy-peasey.  Dressing is a breeze.   

In this thread (some of you will be happy to note), I'll post a pic and tell you what I'm wearing and will try to refrain from too much blahblahblahing, but don't take any bets!  ETA:  If you went ahead and bet that I would not be able to refrain from blahblahblahing, you win big!! :lol:

Handsome Heart is still my photographer (and still as handsome as ever).

Esteemed Contributor

I'm definitely shopping smarter, which was another one of the main goals of the purge. 

I still have the most trouble with summer clothes, which I hate.  The majority of clothes that went out the door during the purge were summer.  I had to figure "summer" out or I was doomed to repeat my mistakes, never leave the house from June through September, or just go naked.  Smiley Surprised

It rankled me no end to spend any amount of money on clothing for a season I hate (and cannot wait 'til it's over!).  I do not need to "love" all my clothes (another sales tactic if you ask me...most of the clothes I love are way out of my price range; I don't "love" my tee shirts). 

In the sweltering, suffocating southern heat, I need summer clothes to be comfortable and cool...that's it.   How was I going to replace all those summer clothes I donated with things I could live with and without breaking the bank?

I volunteer a few days a week at a local charity thrift boutique sorting through clothing donations and cashiering.  A week into the gig and I realized that thrifting was the answer to my "summer" dilemma.  I simply cannot tell you how many beautiful clothes in perfect condition of all brands have passed thru my hands in the past 9 months.  It's staggering!  

I thrifted approximately 19 summer items (most were new with tags) that suit me just fine...purchased at an average of $3 a piece....some were $1, and three were $6 (a pair of Cath Kidston sneaks, a Laurel Burch tote, and a Vera Bradley tote).  Most were $2 to $4 each.

19 items at $3 each (average) = $57.  Add taxes and an adjustment for a few mistakes...say $70.  Add a few items purchased at retail and I spent approx. $120 to outfit myself for summer.  I spent that much on the three items I bought last summer!  I could not be happier!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Summer 2019...

Why I spent so much money, time and effort trying to find an over-priced boyfriend shirt in the woman's department I will never know.  I say the point of a boyfriend shirt is to actually wear your boyfriend's shirt!

This is an outfit I've already worn many times this summer (with various bottoms and shoes).  It's an example of my usual "uniform"...long over skinny.  (If you hate this look, you'll hate a lot of my wardrobe.)

Top:  Fresh Produce (men's), thrifted ($3)

Bottom:  light wash DG2 jeggings, old...worn dozens and dozens of times, so cost per wear = free

Shoes:  Cath Kidston ditsy floral high-top sneaks, thrifted ($6)

Bag:  quilted Vera Bradley tote ($6)

Jewelry:  except for the Texas longhorn necklace ($12), all are very old...if you use the cost per wear measure, I've been wearing these pieces for free for many years.

20190809_150838.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

20190822_181542.png

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF, great to see you posting, I always enjoyed your posts. You have marvelous wit and humor.
Also very happy to hear that you are enjoying your scaled down closet and are happy with it all.
I still have work to do in that area.
I like the outfit you have on in the photo.
Congrats on your success and will look forward to more posts.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF  Nice to see you!

And I love your outfit!

Honored Contributor

So happy to see you, oh rare @MacDUFF, looking blooming and beautiful as ever.  Your outfit is flattering and deliciously cool-looking (heat-defiant), and those are some snappy shoes!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
This is a color I would not normally try at retail prices.  It's a bleached stone color or a light putty. 

I've never owned anything from Coldwater Creek...prices too high.  The quality is superb, and the color is wonderful for summer. 

Thrifting gave me the opportunity to try the trendy all-neutral look without spending a bundle.  This color looks fantastic with black, too.  Pfffffft on all the so-called "color experts" who said I couldn't wear this color.

I've embraced the wide-leg crop for summer...they have a breezy, beachy vibe and are comfortable and cool.

Top:  Coldwater Creek, thrifted ($3)

Bottom:  Supplies wide-leg, Rack (I dropped the hem and gained about 3.5 inches, making them perfect)

Shoes:  Clark's Cloudsteppers, Nordstrom dotcom

Jewelry:  Necklace about 2 yrs old, all other jewelry is very old (cost per wear = free)

20190812_224013.jpeg

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Color is a little off, but...

Bag:  Light gray Elliot Lucca

Shoes:  Light gray and insanely comfortable

Sterling silver cuff is the oldest item in my closet.  I bought it 51 years ago with my very first paycheck (after I paid my parents for room and board LOL).

The SS earrings are old, too...so is the Alex & Ani bracelet.  The necklace is fairly new.

20190819_223536.jpeg