Honored Contributor

Re: Diane Gilman has sold 85,000 jeans today!

On 7/19/2014 willdob3 said:
On 7/19/2014 winamac1 said:

If Diane can wear the smallest size offered, how in the heck would someone super thin wear these? She'd need to make 000's for those that are a true size 0. I'm not even that tiny, and I can't wear her jeans. She said she was wearing the smallest size? I don't get that.

That is not a selling point for those smaller than a size 6.

Good question.

Interesting point indeed. If that's true, what size do the models wear? I think Diane embellishes a lot. She's a saleswoman to the bone. I know for a fact that my daughter is a size 8, sometimes a 10 in ultra skinnies; she wears a 6 in D G 2 jeans and they fit perfectly. She might be able to zip up a size 4 due to the stretch factor but there's a difference between being able to zip a Jean up and having a Jean fit well. I went down one size just as I do with jeans with a lot of stretch.

Super Contributor

I just wonder out of all those jeans that are sold, how many are returned!

I watched her for about a minute yesterday and she had a huge heavy scarf wrapped around her neck like it was the dead of winter.

I know she's selling "young", I suppose it all works for her on the bottom line.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 chrystaltree said:

They made such a big deal about sizing how the stretch that I wondered why the just didn't advise shoppers to go down a size. Like NYDJ does. I went down a size.

They spent a lot of time talking about how everyone was going down 1-2 sizes. They even went around to all the models and got their regular size and if they went down one size or two.

Trusted Contributor

Diane Gilman and Susan Graver are two very different personalities who each drive a lot of people crazy -- and both have become outrageously successful selling fashions that are obviously hitting a sweet spot with a big chunk of middle American shoppers. They are both moving product by the boatload and making themselves and their respective TV shopping channels very, very rich! Whatever you think of these ladies and the fashions they sell, you have to recognize and salute their success!

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 GoodStuff said:

Diane Gilman and Susan Graver are two very different personalities who each drive a lot of people crazy -- and both have become outrageously successful selling fashions that are obviously hitting a sweet spot with a big chunk of middle American shoppers. They are both moving product by the boatload and making themselves and their respective TV shopping channels very, very rich! Whatever you think of these ladies and the fashions they sell, you have to recognize and salute their success!

I don't know. Diane Gilman just out sold Graver on her best day. I think 3 out of every 5 women purchased those jeans from sea to shining sea. Within 4 days there are going to be a ton on women walking around with these jeans on.

Honored Contributor

Diane should thank QVC and it's Christmas extravaganza for her sales. I imagine many CIJ haters are over there buying jeans.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 chrystaltree said:
On 7/19/2014 willdob3 said:
On 7/19/2014 winamac1 said:

If Diane can wear the smallest size offered, how in the heck would someone super thin wear these? She'd need to make 000's for those that are a true size 0. I'm not even that tiny, and I can't wear her jeans. She said she was wearing the smallest size? I don't get that.

That is not a selling point for those smaller than a size 6.

Good question.

Interesting point indeed. If that's true, what size do the models wear? I think Diane embellishes a lot. She's a saleswoman to the bone. I know for a fact that my daughter is a size 8, sometimes a 10 in ultra skinnies; she wears a 6 in D G 2 jeans and they fit perfectly. She might be able to zip up a size 4 due to the stretch factor but there's a difference between being able to zip a Jean up and having a Jean fit well. I went down one size just as I do with jeans with a lot of stretch.

Real life size 2s and under can't wear DG2. Diane never had that body in mind when she came up with the sizing and cut formula for the jeans. The thought process about the fit of the jeans was all about vanity sizing for women who were unable to fit into most of the stylish brands on the retail market. The market caught up to Diane with the the creation of brands such as NYJD.

I believe that when asked or it's mentioned by the show host, most of the HSN models are wearing a size 4 in the apparel of their other designers, so they would be able to wear Diane's 2. In addition they can also do pre show alterations to make sure all of the models jeans have a slim-to-tight body conscious fit.

Honored Contributor

I doubt real life 6's can wear Diane's jeans. I've posted that many, many times. I don't understand "dream sizing" that she talks about.

I watched The List Thursday with Colleen Lopez and they were presenting a pair of DG jeans. Colleen was wearing a 4 and said she normally takes an 8 in jeans.

I was also disgusted to see that the DG top Colleen was wearing had a clip in the back to make it look more fitted. You could clearly see it when she turned to the side. I know they do this but IMO that is very deceptive.

Honored Contributor

Hello!! I wonder if her bootcut jeans are great? I am always tempted but disgusted when I have to return things cuz of the shipping charges.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Diane's bootcut jeans don't look bootcut to me. They look like a straight leg jean.