Honored Contributor

Re: Diana's Iconic Blue Gown From John Travolta WH Dance

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Diana was definately  one of a kind.  There will never be another.

have to disagree with this......there are many people like her in this world......destined to help those that need help. they just dont get the exposure or the backing that she got.

@sunshine45 

Yes, I just watched CNN Heroes Sunday evening and so many wonderful people helping so many in need.  And I don't think any of them had anywhere near the resources that Diana had.

I cried and applauded after each Hero was honored.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you for showing these pictures and Diana at the WH State Dinner.  Diana, John, and the Reagans all in one shot--what a treasure! What beautiful photographs and what a beautiful woman!   Lovely memories!

Honored Contributor

Princess Diana looked stunning in that dark blue gown.  Love her necklace.  I recently watched a couple of programs about the late Princess.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Diana was definately  one of a kind.  There will never be another.

have to disagree with this......there are many people like her in this world......destined to help those that need help. they just dont get the exposure or the backing that she got.

@sunshine45   We are all one of a kind.  God made us all so individual that no one is exactly like us.  Isn't that one of the sweetest things, knowing we are all individual.

Respected Contributor

I thought she looked so smashing in that dress that I just had to add her Franklin Mint Doll (in same dress!) to my Barbie collection.

Image result for diana doll blue travolta dress

Super Contributor

Thanks so much to the original poster for showing this.  On this cold December day it made me warm inside.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I thought she looked so smashing in that dress that I just had to add her Franklin Mint Doll (in same dress!) to my Barbie collection.

Image result for diana doll blue travolta dress

@silkyk 

Uh-oh! DD is definitely gonna want to add this one to her Barbie collection, too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From People magazine:

A piece of Princess Diana history didn’t find a buyer at auction.

The blue velvet gown that the late royal wore during her instantly iconic dance with John Travolta at a 1985 White House state dinner recently went up for sale with Kerry Taylor Auctions. Despite estimates that the dress would fetch between $330,000 and $450,000, bids failed to reach the reserve price of around $265,000.

However, the dress was sold post-auction to a British institution for about $290,000. The seller was “delighted as he hoped it would stay in the UK,” according to the auction house.

Two of Princess Diana’s other ensembles were sold at the auction for above estimated prices: a blue velvet evening gown by Katherine Cusask sold for over $60,000, while a navy Catherine Walker outfit went for nearly $37,000.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @KingstonsMom  for sharing the information about the final sale.  Loved seeing her in the blue velvet gown again.  I think Diana got a raw deal from the royal family.  Charles knew what he was doing and I think some of his family and staff had to know as well.   They lost one of the most appealing and relatable members of the royal family.