Honored Contributor

Diana's Iconic Blue Gown From John Travolta WH Dance

[ Edited ]

The dress Princess Diana wore when she famously danced with John Travolta at the White House will go on sale for £350,000.

The Princess of Wales wowed the great and the good of Hollywood when she wore the Victor Edelstein blue velvet evening gown at the state dinner in 1985.

Footage of her dancing to music from Travolta's hit film Saturday Night Fever went around the world, with the actor describing the experience as 'like a fairytale'.

The gown held a particular appeal for Diana as she was seen it in on at least four other major occasions, including a state visit to Austria in 1986 and a night at the Royal Opera House in 1991. She also wore it for her portrait by Lord Snowden in 1997.

In June 1997 - just two months before her death - Diana auctioned off the dress for £420,000 to raise funds for Aids charities.

It is being sold again with Kerry Taylor Auctions, of London, who describe it as 'one of her most iconic dresses'. They have given it a pre-sale estimate of £350,000.

The blue dress Princess Diana wore when she famously danced with John Travolta at the White House has emerged for sale for £350,000

The gown has off the shoulder straps, while a diagonally swathed velvet skirt hugs the figure tightly to the knee with a bow to one side, then flares out into a broad flounce above layered tulle petticoats

The Princess of Wales wowed the great and the good of Hollywood when she wore the Victor Edelstein blue velvet evening gown at the state dinner in 1985

Notice Nancy & Ronald Reagan in the background of this photo:

At the gala dinner held by US president Ronald Reagan, first lady Nancy Reagan is said to have taken Travolta to one side and told him that Diana wished to dance with him.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diana's Iconic Blue Gown From John Travolta WH Dance

She was the true shining star of the Royal family , wish  the younger generation would find their voice as she had to help so many other people .

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Wonderful seeing this iconic photograph. Diana, Untouchable then and now. Forever England's Rose. The "People's Princess." ⚘

Honored Contributor

I was never a big Diana fan either way, love or dislike, in her lifetime.  I was busy with my own life at the time but she was impressively beautiful, gregarious but, seemingly very divisive within the royal family and the Brits until she was martyered at the time of her death, when she became a most unifying figure. 

Very sad that her life ended this way, but all things are for a purpose and I hope Great Britain sees the good in what her life meant and how the effect of her death brought a nation together.  

Honored Contributor

Diana was definately  one of a kind.  There will never be another.

Honored Contributor

She had  dark  dress that I loved. I think it had antique lace on the bodice

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Diana was definately  one of a kind.  There will never be another.

have to disagree with this......there are many people like her in this world......destined to help those that need help. they just dont get the exposure or the backing that she got.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

This is my favorite dress !!

Honored Contributor

I wonder why the dress has decreased in value?  That's doesn't make sense.

Honored Contributor

It might be the economy @Pearlee . It also might be that  she has been dead 25 years ,and people are starting to move on..It happens