Honored Contributor

Re: Design school unnecessary?

I could easily see where a person with talent could work side by side with a designer as they observed and had their hands guided by the head designer as items would be created.  If that type of experience went on for several years in an apprentice situation, it could surpass a "traditional" degree.  

Creativity is fostered more by hands on than the printed word.

Honored Contributor

Anyone can have an idea for a garment ... and hire a designer to make it for them.  Or buy software to do it for them.

As far as I'm concerned - LOGO is the only line that shows any sort of innovation / imagination.  I'm assuming Lori has the VISION and hired someone to interpret it.

Everyone else - it's the same styles in different colors and fabrics.  For what's worth (absolutely nothing!) ... these are my takes ....

Bob Mackie's garments are simple cuts - what sets them apart is his artwork and embellshment.

Susan Graver ... art background and concentrates on colors and prints.  Same fabrics over and over, two or three basic cuts - lots of colors and prints.   I generally like her styles but not a fan of her liquid knit, don't like her florals and really, really don't like placement prints.  Do like her lustra knt and her woven fabrc shirts.

Dennis Basso ..  Love his coats - don't like his clothing line at all.  Not for "real life."

IM ... He draws .. and I'm guessing someone interprets his drawings and makes the garments.  I'm not a fan of his color choices, garment styles or fabric choices.    Just not my style.

LDO .... really, really, really NOT a fan of him or his clothing line.  Old-fashioned - living in the past.   Can't watch him ... bad vibes ...

Lisa Rinna ... She probably has the idea and has a designer or staff to interpret it.  I'm about 50/50 on her stuff.  When she has something good ... it's really, really good.  Her bad stuff is really, really bad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Foxxee 

according to the bio on his website, dennis basso did attend FIT.

@sunshine45 

He received an Honorary Doctorate degree.

It is given to someone who has no previous connection with the academic institution or no previous postsecondary education.

I couldn't find anywhere he definitely received a degree from a college or fashion design school.  There's mention of attending Catholic University.  Could you share with us the fashion design school he graduated from?  

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Anyone can have an idea for a garment ... and hire a designer to make it for them.  Or buy software to do it for them.

As far as I'm concerned - LOGO is the only line that shows any sort of innovation / imagination.  I'm assuming Lori has the VISION and hired someone to interpret it.

Everyone else - it's the same styles in different colors and fabrics.  For what's worth (absolutely nothing!) ... these are my takes ....

Bob Mackie's garments are simple cuts - what sets them apart is his artwork and embellshment.

Susan Graver ... art background and concentrates on colors and prints.  Same fabrics over and over, two or three basic cuts - lots of colors and prints.   I generally like her styles but not a fan of her liquid knit, don't like her florals and really, really don't like placement prints.  Do like her lustra knt and her woven fabrc shirts.

Dennis Basso ..  Love his coats - don't like his clothing line at all.  Not for "real life."

IM ... He draws .. and I'm guessing someone interprets his drawings and makes the garments.  I'm not a fan of his color choices, garment styles or fabric choices.    Just not my style.

LDO .... really, really, really NOT a fan of him or his clothing line.  Old-fashioned - living in the past.   Can't watch him ... bad vibes ...

Lisa Rinna ... She probably has the idea and has a designer or staff to interpret it.  I'm about 50/50 on her stuff.  When she has something good ... it's really, really good.  Her bad stuff is really, really bad.

LDO -- Have to agree on this one. Anne Klein was always a snooze.

Bob Mackie, as far as I'm concerned, is/was a costume designer, not a fashion designer. 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@this is my nic 

It's similar to the food industry where there are chefs that went to culinary school and there are those that worked their way up through different kitchens learning from skilled chefs. My ex was the latter and put very little stock in those that came out of culinary school!

but that's where the similarity ends. You can't fake being a chef

@Andreatoo I was just going to post the same thing.  A chef can work their way up through the kitchen.  They don't need to go to culinary school.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee  This is what Basso’s site says about his education.  Whether or not he graduated FIT, it doesn’t mention.

E414FC6D-E003-4CE8-A78D-E8FEBBDC1529.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Foxxee  This is what Basso’s site says about his education.  Whether or not he graduated FIT, it doesn’t mention.

E414FC6D-E003-4CE8-A78D-E8FEBBDC1529.jpeg

@Alter Ego 

Yes, I saw elsewhere he attended Catholic University...no mention he graduated.  This does sound like he did.   

Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@this is my nic 

It's similar to the food industry where there are chefs that went to culinary school and there are those that worked their way up through different kitchens learning from skilled chefs. My ex was the latter and put very little stock in those that came out of culinary school!

but that's where the similarity ends. You can't fake being a chef

@Andreatoo I was just coming to say the same thing.  One can work their way through the ranks to become a chef.  They don't need to go to culinary school to become one.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I so agree with this...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Foxxee 

according to the bio on his website, dennis basso did attend FIT.

@sunshine45 

He received an Honorary Doctorate degree.

It is given to someone who has no previous connection with the academic institution or no previous postsecondary education.

I couldn't find anywhere he definitely received a degree from a college or fashion design school.  There's mention of attending Catholic University.  Could you share with us the fashion design school he graduated from?  

@Foxxee 

it says on his site that h was educated at  FIT. how long he attended i dont know nor do i know he he got an official degree from there.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein