Honored Contributor

Re: Design school unnecessary?

I like and wear many clothing lines that are not associated with a graduate designer, but I wouldn’t have a facial unless that person had a degree, etc. 

There are jewelry designers on Q who studied the art and can actually sit at the bench and produce the item. There are others who are artists, draw the design and pass it on to others to fabricate. I appreciate and purchase from the former.

Honored Contributor

You don’t need to know how to put a clock together to tell time. 

2AE0CE7B-743F-4648-920A-6B1AFD9F3139.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

But if you know how a clock is put together, you have a better eye on what is quality workmanship, or not.

@Imaoldhippie

I would love to see your designs!

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think there is a little more freedom when dealing with the arts.  Just as some actors have degrees in acting while others don't, I believe that practice carries through in many areas of the fine arts.

That's true. But you can always spot the difference.

You learn the rules, so you can break the rules.

That also makes me think of the word, "musician," or in my case in college teaching, "artist." I have to use the term, "artist" in a very broad sense.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa .............if only I could draw the designs, but my art ability is stick people, I would be happy for you to see my designs.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

But if you know how a clock is put together, you have a better eye on what is quality workmanship, or not.

@Harpa 

I’m afraid you took my post literally.

It’s a very common saying to signify you don’t need to know 

the ins & outs to still do a quality job.

I drive a car every day.

Does that make me a car designer or car manufacturer? No.

I’m a skilled car driver.

Does that qualify me for the NASCAR or Forumla 1 circuit? No.

But I still know how to safely operate a motor vehicle.

And with my years of experience, I can identify a quality vehicle.

Honored Contributor

I feel like the people who ‘make the rules’ (especially in the arts),

are people who have lots of money & influence who CAN’T

do the art so they limit it for everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

I came across the following on Wikipedia.  I like the word "stylist" rather than "designer" if the person didn't actually study formal training at a school.  The way I read this is that only QVC describes her as designer.

Lori Goldstein is an American fashion stylist, editor,[1][2] designer of LOGO by Lori Goldstein for QVC, and author of 'Lori Goldstein: Style Is Instinct'.[3] She has frequently collaborated with photographers Steven Meisel and Annie Leibovitz, creating well known ad campaigns and editorials.[4] She was also the first agency-signed stylist, signing with Art + Commerce, now a division of IMG.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@this is my nic 

It's similar to the food industry where there are chefs that went to culinary school and there are those that worked their way up through different kitchens learning from skilled chefs. My ex was the latter and put very little stock in those that came out of culinary school!

but that's where the similarity ends. You can't fake being a chef

Culinary school exposes different kinds of worldwide foods.  Something someone who worked their way up in restaurants would never be exposed to.  Difference between be Gordon Ramsey and a Racheal Ray.  A chef or a good cook. 

Except Gordon Ramsay didn’t attend culinary school. He went to school for hotel management. He, as you say, worked his way up working in restaurants. And yet his restaurants have all these Michelin stars...

You are only considering so called celebrity chefs.  One can also be exposed to different kinds of food by travel and working in a variety of restaurants.  Hands on learning (and earning money) rather than time spent in school.

Honored Contributor

I think that most, probably all of the "designers" here have a design studio that is staffed by true designers who have the required education and experience required to design clothes.  The "designer" we see on air provides the vision, the ideas, the plan but doesn't, do the actually designing.  If you look at the hundreds and hundreds of items they have in stock, it's obvious that it's not even humanely possible for one person to design all that stuff.