Honored Contributor

Re: Design school unnecessary?

I never thought of many of the vendors to be designers.  When I think of designers, I think of Louis/Linea, Isaac, Vince.  That is all I can think of right now.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only one I know of at QVC is Louis Dell'Olio who formally studied fashion design graduating from Parson's School of Design.  He also won awards.

Coty, Coty Hall of Fame, Coty Hall of Fame Citation, and Norman Norell.  

Susan Graver majored in Art and Psychology in College.  

Dennis Basso attended Catholic University in Washington.  Was given an Honorary Doctorate Degree from Fashion Institute of Technology. 

Bob Mackie attended Pasadena City College and one year study at Chouinard Art Institute.  Didn't get a degree at either one, but gained experience working under other designers before going it alone.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

according to the bio on his website, dennis basso did attend FIT.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Hey, Coco Chanel is the one who caught  my eye.  She learned to sew from nuns in the orphanage she lived in as a child.  If you have the eye and the talent... 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I never thought of many of the vendors to be designers.  When I think of designers, I think of Louis/Linea, Isaac, Vince.  That is all I can think of right now.

Bob Mackie too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could care less if a person went to or graduated from a design school or not as long as they can put clothing together to make a great outfit and design wearable clothing for the average woman.

I can barely sew on a button, but I have some clothing designs in my head that I think would be good for most older women.  So my "designs" will stay in my head.

I can see it now    DESIGNS BY OLD HIPPIE, lol

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I think there is a little more freedom when dealing with the arts.  Just as some actors have degrees in acting while others don't, I believe that practice carries through in many areas of the fine arts.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@this is my nic 

It's similar to the food industry where there are chefs that went to culinary school and there are those that worked their way up through different kitchens learning from skilled chefs. My ex was the latter and put very little stock in those that came out of culinary school!

but that's where the similarity ends. You can't fake being a chef

Culinary school exposes different kinds of worldwide foods.  Something someone who worked their way up in restaurants would never be exposed to.  Difference between be Gordon Ramsey and a Racheal Ray.  A chef or a good cook. 

Honored Contributor

Another example of this sort of thing can be seen in the culinary arts, for example, Rachel Ray is not a chef yet she has quite a track record for being a popular and successful  cook.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Another example of this sort of thing can be seen in the culinary arts, for example, Rachel Ray is not a chef yet she has quite a track record for being a popular and successful  cook.

@SilleeMee  ...but without a degree, credentials I doubt she could become a chef in a top restaurant. It’s all relative.