Honored Contributor

I didn't know anyone still made clothing with real fur; it's archaic in my view.  I wouldn't necessarily shun Mr. Basso, but he wouldn't be a good friend.  

Respected Contributor

Many of the top designers are still using real fur. It won't stop, until there is no market for their coats demanding thousands of dollars.

The designer and customer share guilt equally, in my personal opinion. Fur wouldn't still be marketed, if there wasn't demand, particularly when it's become so controversial.

The desire for these items is gradually declining, for obvious reasons, but we can't expect it to stop, as long as people continue to seek these, often viewed as, costly status symbols within certain crowds. 

Respected Contributor
Should the medical community not do animal testing? You want an artificial heart valve that went straight from the lab bench into your chest? Or would you prefer a pig take a prototype for a spin first? The government has very stringent guidelines for animal treatment in medical testing especially when grant money is involved.
Respected Contributor

Okay, I am an animal advocate and I have had pets of all types for decades.  My cats need to eat meat and I like to eat it as well, and I wear leather shoes so it is a challenge to ever become a vegan.

Humankind has worn fur for years, it is a part of ancient history.  Some cultures still practice hunting and use all the parts of the animals.

Additionally, the rich and famous made fur a status symbol.  Dennis Basso created a fashion line and a customer base when selling fur was seen as a luxury enterprise.  I cannot be upset with him because he became an international fur coat expert in his time.

Thankfully, we now have a more enlightened society that recognizes there are great substitutes for real fur, and testing on animals should never be the first choice. 

I have no problem with buying and using Dennis Basso faux fur blankets and coats--in fact, they are some of my favorites!  I do have a problem with the rich people who are still ordering hundred thousand dollar sable coats.  

Most of the major department stores have now done away with their fur salons. I am not sure what has happened to their inventories-- I am sure Mr. Basso has a collection of products of many years that he cannot just throw away.  Perhaps soon Dennis Basso will no longer have "real fur" customers, and he will focus even more on faux fur and other fashions.  

Trusted Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@layla2450 wrote:

@White Picket Fence wrote:

I can't help but ask myself this everytime I see this guy. If you can make fur that looks real, why contiunue to kill animals Mr. Basso? Do all those that order from him realize he is a furrier? This guy sells real fur! It comes across like he is a good guy not selling real fur like I once thought long ago until I heard he did sell it. I thought he just did faux.  How can anyone wear these poor dead animals who have been killed for there own coats of fur? And wether he can make it look real or not really doesn't matter. It is wrong to do this to another living being. Horrific actually. He has or had a dog. I hear host talking to him about their cats and dogs. I don't get it. Why is it okay to love a cat or dog and not care about these innocent lives take for vanity? And no, I'm not "One of those people" with the throwing of blood. I am an animal lover who does have three dogs and has just never felt it was right to wear fur and sacrifice lives for this cruel look. How can anyone wear his stuff. Carolyn Gracie is a huge animal person like myself. But I've seen her talking to him. She is always talking about the love of animals. I would refuse to work with this money hungry heartless person. Lining  his pockets with the money made off of the dead that he killed.

I AGREE. I can't stand him and HAVE NEVER or WILL NEVER buy ANYTHING he sells.

I will buy, so will alot of others.

GOOD FOR YOU AND OTHERS !!! ENJOY!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@White Picket Fence 

Now I know how you feel about fur.

Tell me, how do you feel about people adorning themselves with feathers? Skins? Bones? Teeth?

And why target Basso?

In any supply & demand situation, the drive is generated by demand, not supply. So isn't your fur thing really aimed at peoples who provide the demand?

Is this a global thing for you, or just in the United States? Have you considered peoples in all climates?

Do you make any exceptions?

Would you like to offer alternate suggestions for the humans use of animal fur? 

Because as my wise mother said, "nature never wastes anything", and I can assure you, that's true.

Take the human out of of the equasion, and the fur will become insulation, bed and bedding for others.

Looking forward to reading your thoughtful reasoned reply.

I want to know this too.  Everytime I read that designers DON'T HAVE TO USE FUR, I shake my head.  Nothing will insulate the body better than fur.  And yes there are climates that faux fur won't cut it in.

Thank you making this point @x Hedge 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I in herited my mothers mink fur jacket after her death. I love it because it reminds me of her wearing it back in the 60's. My dad gave it to her as a gift. This jacket is my moms. I will keep it forever. Heart

I have my grandmother's mink coat. I think it is beautiful but would never wear it because I would be afraid someone would throw paint on it or something. I have nothing against Basso doing real fur. If people are buying you can't fault the guy for making a living. 

Esteemed Contributor

My husband's mother had several fur coats that were passed down and I had the option to take one. I declined. Primarily because we don't live the kind of lifestyle where I would feel appropriate wearing a fur coat. I also live in Seattle and it doesn't really get cold enough to wear fur, if you were wearing to keep warm.

All the fur coats went to a brother-in-law who has a new wife (new as in not first wife). She drags him to expensive ski resort places so she can wear her furs. It's pathetic actually how much of a social climber she is.

I am glad the coats, which I have to say are beautiful, have a home and that home is not mine.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Regular Contributor

Re: Dennis Basso

[ Edited ]

I'm not going to debate this topic. I stated how I felt about the killing of annocent animals for some kind of Glamour High these people get without even thinking about what is actually on there back. I wondered if there were others who's minds this has crossed. I am just Thankfull that there are woman that are consious of how inhumane wearing fur actually is. And choose Not to buy real fur. That's it. Love to all who will not buy real fur. Real heart and soul <3