Respected Contributor

Re: Dennis Basso sells real animal fur coats.

I hate to throw lighter fluid on a fire, BUT has anyone considered that the TSV is made of lamb leather. Isn't this just as tragic a choice as Dennis Basso's furs? I would think that the lambs would feel the loss of their skin equally as much as the minks feel the loss of their fur.

Respected Contributor

On 7/31/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I'm kind of surprised that people done know this. His appearances on QVC are secondary to his real life job of being a furrier.

I have to agree, I thought this was common knowledge.

Respected Contributor

On 7/31/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I'm kind of surprised that people done know this. His appearances on QVC are secondary to his real life job of being a furrier.

I have to agree. I thought this was common knowledge.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat meat but personally I feel there is a real difference between eating meat, fish , and the wearing or using of mink, ermine, chinchilla, etc. Just me though, I realize someone else will have a different view.

Fish are used for more than their flesh. The bones are used in medicine, soil and many other things. I don't think fish are "milked" for their omega oil, castor oil and such either. LOL!

Vanity furs are another thing entirely. Of course if one is vegan none of these things are a viable option. , even in the use of vitamins and medication.

I guess what I am saying is I feel there is a difference between wearing a leather handbag and sporting a chinchilla or mink coat or trim. And in some climates there is no need to own one except for vanity reasons.

I don't think we live in a Lucy and Ethel world anymore where a mink stole or coat was seen as the height of success. It is no longer a status symbol. However, some may still see it as that.

Honored Contributor

On 8/2/2014 Perkup said:

I hate to throw lighter fluid on a fire, BUT has anyone considered that the TSV is made of lamb leather. Isn't this just as tragic a choice as Dennis Basso's furs? I would think that the lambs would feel the loss of their skin equally as much as the minks feel the loss of their fur.

well, Perkup I see your point. But lambs are slaughtered different, they aren't electrocuted in unspeakable places. They are all slaughtered though, and it isn't a pretty picture. I don't use lamb, ostrich, emu, or exotic skins myself. But that is just me. I don't wear Uggs either, and the lamb is used for food and such. Actually, the shearling stuff is the shaved fleece from the lamb or sheep. They can get that without killing the lamb.

Respected Contributor

On 8/1/2014 HisElk said:
On 7/31/2014 WillEscapeCAsoon said:
On 7/31/2014 lousgirl84 said:

You didn't know this. I refuse to buy anything from Dennis Basso because of it. I am ABSOLUTELY, TOTALLY AGAINST FUR BEING USED IN CLOTHING

How about leather shoes and a tasty Burger?

Nope, don't wear leather or carry a leather handbag; no burgers in this house either. The fur industry is very cruel and it's all about making money, no matter what they have to do to get the fur off the animal. I've seen the pictures of how it's done; no thanks.

I totally agree. I have seen what they do to the animals and no thank you. It is truly heartbreaking. That goes for fur and down as well. I was never a fur person anyway, I cant wrap my head around that. I am no longer buying leather either even though I am an advocate for using the whole animal but from what I have seen, I dont know what those animals go through. I have even given away my leather jackets and down comforters.

I purchased Basso's throws before but if I thought about who I was supporting, I would of passed. I wouldnt of known Basso if it wasnt for qvc.

Super Contributor

On 8/2/2014 shoekitty said:
On 8/2/2014 Perkup said:

well, Perkup I see your point. But lambs are slaughtered different, they aren't electrocuted in unspeakable places. They are all slaughtered though, and it isn't a pretty picture. I don't use lamb, ostrich, emu, or exotic skins myself. But that is just me. I don't wear Uggs either, and the lamb is used for food and such. Actually, the shearling stuff is the shaved fleece from the lamb or sheep. They can get that without killing the lamb.

see my post #53. I talked about lamb leather and sheepskin.

You are misinformed about shearling, this is what it is:

Contrary to what many consumers think, “shearling” is not sheared wool; the term refers to the sheep. A shearling is a yearling sheep who has been shorn once. A shearling garment is made from a sheep or lamb shorn shortly before slaughter. The skin is tanned with the wool still on it. It can take 25 to 45 individual sheep hides to make just one shearling garment.

they are all slaughtered for their skins. Sheepskin, lambskin etc. are pelts (skins) and millions are slaughtered for fashion only with no meat by-product from the animal. Uggs use sheep, not lamb, and although people do eat lamb, sheep is not eaten for the quantity it takes to make boots and coats.