Esteemed Contributor

Dennis Basso quality

[ Edited ]

My grandsons police group is having a coat drive (old gently used coats) So I wanted to contribute.

I have a large closet in my basement filled with coats I never use and have not looked at in many yrs,Suede,fur,leather,ect not relly the kind you would donate but I did anyway. I never wear them and have not really opned that closet in many yrs.

Anyway,I went to get some coats,omg I used to buy a new DB every year,many times more than one and had over 20 coats to contribute to the coat drive. 20 more my DD took home and I still have a full closet more for next yrs drive.

These coats are perfect new condition and Dennis Basso's best......but they have been in that closet for over 8 or 9 yrs or more and never worn. Maybe only ever worn once or twice. Hard to donate but I did it.Don't want to be a hoarder.

BUT,the reason for this post is quality.......DB coats were of a very high quality yrs ago but sadly they are no longer as nice as they were. I have a few beauties ,reversable fur to suede and beautiful natural looking full legnth fur coats.

Long full legnth fur ,lynz,mink ,beaver,lepoard,ect.......all beauties......none I have seen lately can compare with the cheap ones he sells now.and that is sooooooooo sad.Suede jackets of all colors......I bought them all.

My Dh died and I shopped out my grief!

I am sooooooooo dissapointed in his quality now and that is the reason for this post QVC has changed so very much   Smiley Sad .

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't bought enough of DB's line to know about the quality...- but do know that if his fur coats "puddle" on the floor - which he is so proud of......there's no warmth to the coat.    It's all 'show' for Madison Avenue and catching a cab.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma, I have never purchased any DB items, but wanted to say congratulations to you on parting with so many coats you obviously loved. I'm sure your generosity will be appreciated too. My condolances to you on the loss of you DH.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma I agree with you, I have a few of his coats from years ago and they look like real furs. The stuff he sells now does look like the fabric that it is.

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma.  I have several older DB coats from awhile back and I do agree with the change in quality.  IMO many fashion items at QVC have gone down hill.  These are very good designers and I think at some point the Q has taken over control of all manufacturering.  How many times have we heard about "QVCs design team" that all designers meet with and the team designated changes to the product or rejects it.  Designers have said once the product is accepted they do not see it until show prep or during the show.  The designers often say they do not chose the color names.  IM and others have said many times that they have to buy their own products.  All this sounds to me like QVC has total control and is responsible for all the quality problems.

If I had as many coats in great condition as you I would pick out several of my favorites and keep them for present and future wear.  You may never find that same great quality again.  It was great of you to share the extras.  I know the people who receive them will appreciate them.  What a great way for you to begin 2017.

I understand the reason behind your early shopping sprees.   My husband was sick for 15 years before he passed.  My work clothes badly needed to be replaced but I got carried away.  I bought and spent more money on clothes than I needed.   It took time to kick that habit but I did.  I still sort out good extra items and donate regularly.  Now retired I no longer need my office clothes and shoes.  The shoes have been the hardest to give up.  It is equally hard to not buy what I don't need.  If it is special and I buy I review and donate again.  Now when I have a need to shop it is for family birthdays and holidays.  I get a lot of pleasure doing that.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@MalteseMomma.  I have several older DB coats from awhile back and I do agree with the change in quality.  IMO many fashion items at QVC have gone down hill.  These are very good designers and I think at some point the Q has taken over control of all manufacturering.  How many times have we heard about "QVCs design team" that all designers meet with and the team designated changes to the product or rejects it.  Designers have said once the product is accepted they do not see it until show prep or during the show.  The designers often say they do not chose the color names.  IM and others have said many times that they have to buy their own products.  All this sounds to me like QVC has total control and is responsible for all the quality problems.

If I had as many coats in great condition as you I would pick out several of my favorites and keep them for present and future wear.  You may never find that same great quality again.  It was great of you to share the extras.  I know the people who receive them will appreciate them.  What a great way for you to begin 2017.

I understand the reason behind your early shopping sprees.   My husband was sick for 15 years before he passed.  My work clothes badly needed to be replaced but I got carried away.  I bought and spent more money on clothes than I needed.   It took time to kick that habit but I did.  I still sort out good extra items and donate regularly.  Now retired I no longer need my office clothes and shoes.  The shoes have been the hardest to give up.  It is equally hard to not buy what I don't need.  If it is special and I buy I review and donate again.  Now when I have a need to shop it is for family birthdays and holidays.  I get a lot of pleasure doing that.

@Gram W

yes it is very hard to break the buying habit .I have to say QVC has been making it really easy lately.They aren't selling anythingI want or need. I could go on the rest of my ive and never use up what I already bought. I know I will never live to wear it all,yet everything is like new and really nice good quality  (all brands),not like anything  they sell today.  Little by little I will donate it. you would never believe all the new I bought and have packed away in my basement. I think in the beginning it was a way of filling up an enpty house again.........

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I haven't bought enough of DB's line to know about the quality...- but do know that if his fur coats "puddle" on the floor - which he is so proud of......there's no warmth to the coat.    It's all 'show' for Madison Avenue and catching a cab.

@fthunt  there is such a huge difference between now and back then  His coats were beautiful .One could hardly tell the difference between fake and real.you cannot imagine how beautiful they were. I actually feel sorry for him 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dennis Basso quality

[ Edited ]
Purchased A271109 DB Beautiful coat. Decided wanted faux fur. Tried two coats, Returned both lack of quality. Finished trying anything from his line. Actually many items Qvc lack quality.
Valued Contributor

Not only the faux fur coats but his throws are drastically different.  I have a throw from 2007.  It is so thick and lush and looks like the day I bought it.  The 3 I have bought the last 2 years are world's apart.  I could have bought comparable at Sam's or Costco for much less.  As for the coats, I have 6 DB's from 2007-2009 and 2 more from the past 3 years.  You can't even compare the quality of the faux fur or the workmanship.  And I will add, the older ones are all XL and they fit but are a bit snug.  The new ones are 3x and while loose, I could not have gone down a size.  I wont be buying anymore DB.  Quality is gone.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

These coats are perfect new condition and Dennis Basso's best......but they have been in that closet for over 8 or 9 yrs or more and never worn. Maybe only ever worn once or twice. Hard to donate but I did it.Don't want to be a hoarder.

BUT,the reason for this post is quality.......DB coats were of a very high quality yrs ago but sadly they are no longer as nice as they were. I have a few beauties ,reversable fur to suede and beautiful natural looking full legnth fur coats.

Long full legnth fur ,lynz,mink ,beaver,lepoard,ect.......all beauties......none I have seen lately can compare with the cheap ones he sells now.and that is sooooooooo sad.Suede jackets of all colors......I bought them all.   

I am sooooooooo dissapointed in his quality now and that is the reason for this post QVC has changed so very much   Smiley Sad .

@MalteseMomma

I agree that his earlier coats were much nicer. I think it was about 6 or 7 years ago when I noticed that his coats started to change.  All of a sudden - no more knee length coats ... just jackets.  

I donated most of the recent purchases and kept the older ones that I still wear:  the real suede with faux lining; the knee length coats, a couple of jacket..  I really do love the ones I kept and wear them all winter.  

I'm not planning on buying any others from his line.  Last time I was in Burlington, I noticed some very nice faux furs.

Same thing happened to Bob Mackie.  I have his "real" silk shirts and jackets, and "real" suede jacket from years ago that I'm still wearing.