Frequent Contributor

Not sure if I am in the correct section.  But I have a collection of D&C pants from

2000 to present.  I have always had to shorten them as back then petites were

rare and the legs were large.  But that what is was back then.  The closest thing to leggings were strirp pants.

In a nut shell I have spent about a week altering those pants and sets to a narrow/slim leg and have a whole new wardrobe.  Some of the pants came with jackets and vests.

Not hard to do at all.  Great way to spend time these stormy days and not spend money. 

In doing this I saw the decline in quality of workmanship.  Too bad since the prices have gone up.   

Honored Contributor

@shopped out    Good for you!  I, too, sew but so many people these days are aghast when you suggest they hem something that's too long.  It's becoming a lost art which is really a shame as it's such a handy skill to have. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Gotta remember Home Ec 101 has long ceased to exist.

Now, it's s*x education and how to stay off drugs.

Other stuff that I never even heard of when I was going to school. whole different world. Schools are feeding your kids breakfast, making sure they're not asleep on the bus and left behind, etc.   I'm totally out of touch.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Other stuff that I never even heard of when I was going to school. whole different world. Schools are feeding your kids breakfast, making sure they're not asleep on the bus and left behind, etc.   I'm totally out of touch.

You and me both!!  It almost--not quite--makes me wish I had grandchildren so I could know what's going on but it's probably just as well I don't--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

@shopped out 

I have to agree the pant declined in quality.

Those were the only pants I bought and then the Q started to change factories.  The fabric got a lot thinner, the same item number didn't fit from lot to lot.  The earlier one's stayed true to color and the latter one's washed out.

I know that all things change but definitely the change in factories made a big difference.  I'm sure they moved production just due to rising costs and possibly offering an incentive to a new plant that if they make this smaller quantity item, we'll move the larger sellers to you.  Don't know because I'm not in their Purchasing Dept but that's what I offered years ago in a different sector.

The fabric and workmanship is definitely different and I'm wearing a pair of the newer lot of pants today.

Honored Contributor

The only differences I've noticed is that the newer pants stretch out and "grow" as you wear them throughout the day.  By day's end, they're at least an inch too long.  

They also come out of the dryer a wrinkled mess.  If you air dry them, they're just as bad or worse.  They must be ironed. 

I've never had a single pair fade in the least. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree...

I loved their pants in the past.....probably have one in every color....

They are not the same anymore and have gone up in cost and like @Kachina624 said, they wrinkle and by the end of the day the pants stretch out and look baggy....

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

and typing is now keyboarding. balancing a check book maybe a lost art!

Frequent Contributor

@shopped out  or @Kachina624  Could you please tell me your method of narrowing the legs on pants? Do you alter the inside or outside of the pant leg? I am a novice sewer, but I’ve wanted to do this kind of alteration on several of my pants. I have thin legs and don’t like the baggy leg, baggy knee look on some pants that otherwise fit well.