Honored Contributor

Why are buttons on one side vs another for male vs female?

From the internet:

<h3>Why Do Men’s and Women’s Shirts Button on Different Sides?</h3>

If you’ve ever had to fold the laundry of men and women (or if you’ve ever accidentally put on a piece of women’s clothing in the dressing room at TJ Maxx without realizing it), you’ve invariably noticed that while men’s shirts have their buttons on the right side, women’s shirts have their buttons on the left side. Why is this?

Though there’s no historical record or museum with an exhibit devoted to buttons (and/or factual logic as to why a person’s s@x would have anything to do with said buttons’ orientation), most sources seem to cite the same simple rationale that dates back over a century.

Mens’ buttons are on the right side because men have always tended to dress themselves and most men (and women, for that matter) are right-handed.

Womens’ buttons are on the left side because years ago (say, during the Victorian Era), the women that could afford fancy clothing with a bunch of buttons would rely on maids to help dress them. So, if a servant (most of whom, naturally, would be right-handed) is going to routinely buttoning up a shirt/dress for someone else, that servant is going to prefer to have the buttons on their right side (which would be the left side of the garment).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

JazzMom beat me to it and she has way more info

Actually, there is a little bit of rhyme and reason behind what side women’s –vs-men plackets are sewn on. It is believed that the reason is that up to and into the last century women had maids that dressed them, and since the maids were looking at the lady, the plackets were sewn so that they would make it easier for a right-handed maid to button the button/ zip the zipper etc. While with the men usually dressed themselves.

Not sure if this is true, but it was something that I learned back in home ed.

Trusted Contributor
HAPPY LADY - could you possibly compare the waist & hip measurements of your capris with the click-here numbers? I was going to order the 10 also. TIA
Valued Contributor
On 4/15/2015 NYCMarian said: HAPPY LADY - could you possibly compare the waist & hip measurements of your capris with the click-here numbers? I was going to order the 10 also. TIA

Hi NYCMarian....Sorry I was out of the loop yesterday. I sent my pants back yesterday but I did measure when they didn't fit. They were an inch larger in the waist but the hip measurements were correct. Somewhere in recent postings another comment was posted that her issue was the fullness in the back at the waistline. There seemed to be extra fullness under the elastic in the back making the back waistline puff, almost like the back seam from the waist down to the crotch seam was too long. Kind of like the pants are high waisted in the back rather than being too wide in the waist. I did not experience that issue with other Linea denim pants. It seems to me it is the cut of the pants rather than the measurements. I reordered one size 8 and it has shipped; probably receive Monday. I do love the way they looked on from the front and with the denim jackets. Hope you have good results with your order!Smile

Trusted Contributor
Thanks, HAPPY LADY. When Pat presented them, she said she had tried sizes 6 & 8, & they both were acceptable, or words to that effect. Unfortunately, she didn't say what size she was actually wearing. I may wait until you get your 8's, if you would be kind enough to update us!
Valued Contributor
On 4/16/2015 NYCMarian said: Thanks, HAPPY LADY. When Pat presented them, she said she had tried sizes 6 & 8, & they both were acceptable, or words to that effect. Unfortunately, she didn't say what size she was actually wearing. I may wait until you get your 8's, if you would be kind enough to update us!

Will do!!

Trusted Contributor
HAPPY LADY, one more question: would you say the lower leg might be a tight fit for larger calves? Tia!
Valued Contributor
On 4/16/2015 NYCMarian said: HAPPY LADY, one more question: would you say the lower leg might be a tight fit for larger calves? Tia!

I'm sorry I don't have to do an actual measurement, but I did notice they were not tight across the bottom. I swim almost every day and although my calves are not as big as say a runner or biker I do not have skinny legs. And remember, this denim is stretchy. I like capris and all the other names this length of pants are called to fit; I hate when they "stick out". I would not have minded if they were a smidgen tighter. These are not skinny legged capris.

Frequent Contributor

I bought the white but had to return them. I normally take an xs and ordered size 4. The hip area was huge on me. I loved the white color, the quality of the fabric and the design but even with a tunic over them, they looked much too large. I didn't want to order a smaller size because I was afraid I might have to return them also. I admit I didn't look at the measurements which I should have before purchasing them. I really wanted white capris and the quality of these were superb in addition to them not being see-through.

Trusted Contributor
Just received my size 10 indigos. They fit great, like most every other Linea 10 that I have.