Contributor

Deeming product reviews unhelpful

This is my opinion about QVC giving online viewers the power to reply to the question "Is this review helpful?":

I have noticed that there are a few people who stalk the reviews and "vote" that certain reviews are not helpful, even when the reviews are sensibly written, and meant to convey a personal opinion about a product. (Has anyone else noticed this practice?)

Occasionally, someone posts a review that does not make sense, or has some grammatical errors, but I do not think that they should be insulted by those people who have nothing better to do than click No to the question about the review being helpful. 

Asking customers if a review is helpful may provide QVC with some useful information about the products that they sell. But I do not think that the option to deem a review unhelpful is necessary, especially in light of some of the mean spirited people who appear to be lurking online, just trying to amuse themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Deeming product reviews unhelpful

To refer to a review writer as being insulted because someone clicked "No"✍

. . .  I can't help but get the impression someone's found your review un-helpful.

Honored Contributor

@Jag03 wrote:

This is my opinion about QVC giving online viewers the power to reply to the question "Is this review helpful?":

I have noticed that there are a few people who stalk the reviews and "vote" that certain reviews are not helpful, even when the reviews are sensibly written, and meant to convey a personal opinion about a product. (Has anyone else noticed this practice?)

Occasionally, someone posts a review that does not make sense, or has some grammatical errors, but I do not think that they should be insulted by those people who have nothing better to do than click No to the question about the review being helpful. 

Asking customers if a review is helpful may provide QVC with some useful information about the products that they sell. But I do not think that the option to deem a review unhelpful is necessary, especially in light of some of the mean spirited people who appear to be lurking online, just trying to amuse themselves.

I'm confused, how do you know who "stalks the reviews and "vote" that certain reviews are not helpful", that info isn't shown.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

QVC is far from alone in asking readers to say whether a review was helpful or not.   

Is QVC the only one that has nasty stalkers?   

Trusted Contributor

Just as someone has an opinion on a product, I may have an opinion on whether the review was helpful to me. As said above, many many retailers have this feature now.
Honored Contributor

@Jag03.  Although what you describe is not common, I've observed that certain lines have a following, and no matter how objective the reviewer may be, the majority of readers will mark any negative comments as being "not helpful".  I find it easy to ignore those "not helpful" marks and consider the source.  It's  too bad these intelligent, sophisticated buyers can't be as honest and objective as the reviewers try to be.  It's  the clique mentality.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

What @Kachina624  said - there's one line in particular that springs to mind, but it wouldn't shock me if there were others as well.

I occasionally use the "not helpful" option whenever I see a review in which the reviewer obviously did not purchase the item

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You noticed it, too.  

Absolutely agree with you there are stalkers who are just being nasty,  people who are inconsiderate, or both.  I think it's both.  

Reviewers generously take their time to post evaluations of a product to help other buyers and QVC.  They are not paid to do it.  Then someone comes along giving a reviewer a "no" because the reviewer wasn't thorough enough or didn't answer all the readers' questions or just didn't agree with the reviewer's opinion. 

I get many "yeses", so it's not that I write lousy reviews.  Out of curiosity, I began watching my reviews and others this past year for several months. I have seen many very good reviews with a "no."  Receiving a "no" for a good review looked very suspicious to me. 

I don't watch anymore, but it does make one wonder why leave reviews at all if there are people challenging them with not helpful.  I'd like to see the reviews of those who give "noes."  Would their reviews pass the same scrutiny?

Honored Contributor

The "no" choice for the review was not helpful is just that.  Just plain silly reviews about the item, such as I dont like the color, shipping was slow.  Its doesnt fit me.  These reviews are worthless and just plain stupid.  They are not the least bit helpful.

Reviews about the product itself is what is helpful, such as the material is very thin, the garment runs small.  The mixer is huge and takes up a lot of space.

See the difference?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Some folks write good, honest reviews, others do not. Some even write reviews and don't even own the product(s) - AND they even admit that. That's how insane some reviews are!!!!

I do write reviews, I like to and I'm honest with them. I do wish however, once I review, I wish we had the capability to then go back and give more info and/or edit what we wrote by writing or adding to the original one.

I think it's redundant some things folks write about the items they buy. I actually wonder why they say what they write.