Respected Contributor

Re: Debating about buying a cotton top

@cherry

Dont bother...you don't have to think twice about a nice warm weather shirt- there are so many, many washables, especially all cotton, that you needn't have to worry about care!

Respected Contributor

It's only 3%viscose and part of the  combined thread content. jmho but the Dry Clean label is due to the airy style of blouse which looks like it needs ironing. It will wash fine but may very wrinkled.  some starch and a hot iron and it will look new.

Also it does not state Dry Clean Only. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry

First lets get this out of the way young lady:

I have a bone to pick with you! I now find myself checking for darts!! In my own closet, drawers, while I'm shopping?! LOL!

Now for the dry cleaning problem; I've picked up a few things accidentally lately but I just purchased Dryel. Thats the home 'dry cleaning' kit. I remember using it years ago and was pleased with the results. It works in your dryer in a bag. The starter kit comes with a stain solution stick, bags, etc...

I recently checked a shirt after getting on line, 100% poly!, that turned out to be dry clean only so I put it back. I'm considering going back for it...

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo  does it have darts? Enquiring minds want to know Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

There's a difference between "dry clean" (which is a preference) and "dry clean only." If it just says "dry clean" you should be able to hand wash the item, or use the delicate cycle in the washer. 

Although, I do look at the fabric content and make my own decision. Based on the fabric blend, I would consider that top (gently) washable.

The only things I take to the cleaners are a few 100% rayon tops I have. 100% rayon shrinks; rayon as part of a fabric blend does not lead to shrinking, in my experience. I have sweaters that have rayon, mixed with polyester, wool, cotton, etc., and none of them shrink.

I do also take some coats to the cleaners. And DH's suits and sport coats. 

I've found an environmentally-friendly cleaners in my area. They do not use harsh chemicals. The things I give them come back in perfect condition with no chemical smell. They don't cost anymore than a regular cleaners. It's worth finding a cleaners that you can trust; there is a great range of quality in cleaners, from excellent to hopeless.

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@suzyQ3  It's on sale for $50 ,so it is  a decent price, and shouldnt be cheap  trim

Oh, that's a definite buy.  Not much more than a T-shirt, that price.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

How about this, in 100% cotton, from GAP?

product photo

Honored Contributor

@cherry

Or this one, also 100% cotton?

product photo

Honored Contributor

It's very pretty @lolakimono  but I know the quality of DG and how she sizes.

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@ECBGIt is cotton and poly with 3% rayon..I wonder if the laddering stitch is  fragile?

@cherry It's the rayon, but it does add a pretty look to the fabric and the colors are fantastic!

I fell in love with a summer top with a beautiful print I was wild for. 100% rayon.  No.  At that percent rayon colors run.

https://www.marthastewart.com/270610/how-to-wash-drycleanable-clothes