Esteemed Contributor

Men not wearing socks in warm weather is hardly new, particularly with casual apparel.  My recall dates back to the 1950s and most definitely in the '60s and '70s not wearing socks was considered to be trendy with casual summer clothes.  In the '80s, The Miami Vice style served to elevate sockless as being acceptable beyond casal apparel. 

At least these days we have low cut style socks to wear in lieu of regular socks for a no sock look.  I find my enclosed shoes look cleaner inside and smell better wearing this type of sock as opposed to none at all. 

Respected Contributor

In the summer, the only time my husband wears socks is when he's wearing a suit or sport coat and tie.

Docksiders, loafers and driving moccasins look weird with socks.

Trusted Contributor

Yes,I personally thought it looked terrible.He always looks so fine,but not then.They say that’s the style but I think it doesn’t fit well with me.

Honored Contributor

David Dangle may have been going for the preppy, coolest-kid-in-school look but I don't think it suits him in a business setting.  Maybe he'll go back to a professonal look.

Respected Contributor

I can’t believe we’re still talking about no socks!

Honored Contributor

Who cares.  I prefer to not wear socks and do not wear socks in the fall but I do in the winter unless I am wearing my Uggs and then I am bare foot.  I live in the Midwest.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor
Just like women, men also dress more casual these days. Dweck did not have on socks on his show today.
Honored Contributor

It looks kind of unfinished to me and I do not particularly like the trend. Thankfully, my husband hasn't adapted it...

Honored Contributor

It absolutely has long been a sort of prep or Ivy-ish look affected by men to wear shoes with no socks, as people have mentioned.

It has never appealed to me.  I love interesting socks on men, especially argyles or colors or quirky prints.  Some make those their trademarks.  Didn't Peter O'Toole always wear green socks, and I think @Somertime mentioned that Van Johnson always wore red socks....  My husband often wears argyles and in summer, eccentric prints...