Respected Contributor

Re: DRESSING LIKE A FRENCH WOMAN

@Abrowneyegirl So true.  It's a rare day when anyone gets a compliment on a black, grey or brown outfit.  I get compliments on my clothes all the time!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

i don't know what this says about me, but my closet has always been the basic colors and it's pretty easy to match items, and yet i stand there wondering why i don't have anything to wear! i'm making a huge donation this weekend to goodwill and it looks like i haven't even made a dent. boy, do i need closet intervention!

Esteemed Contributor

I love it, OP. I'm going to be doing this for 2017! I want the best I can afford. If I want color I can bring it in accessories. I want a small closet with everything worn and loving everything. Plus it all fitting magnificently and looking great on me.

It's going to be a great new year....

Valued Contributor

As an artist, I feel so drab in solids and dark colors!   I love all-over prints for tops, and jewel tones.  Dark pants mostly, or jeans, but if something has a rich color, I'm all in.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been to France 21 times and spent equal time in cities and in the countryside. That closet idea is excellent but the notion that all French women dress a certain way is just not true. Sure, the well-to-do Parisian women can teach us all a few things about how to dress well. On the other hand, many women in the countryside do not dress all that well. They wear very simple, serviceable clothes that no one would consider stylish. France is a very diverse country but, sadly, when most people think of France, it's only Paris. It's a magnificent city, my favorite, but France and its women are far more diverse than that.

Valued Contributor

II am also a "loves color" girl, and my style is gyspy/romatic with a bit of classic equestrian........my style has always been long skirts, boots, a Dooney satchel with all the buckles and hardware, colorful scarves and shawls, and fabulous hoop earrings. I love dressing!

I think what makes French women different is that instead of buying lots and lots of clothes, they invest in very well made, very expensive pieces that will be classic and wear beautifully for years. 

Perhaps we buy too much stuff that is not that well made......I think its important to FIND YOUR STYLE. Many years ago, I read several books on this subject, very helpful for me, as they talked about color, body shape, style personality. That helped me narrow down and find what I loved to wear. I still have too many clothes, but I love them and wear them.  I'm not the "wear black all the time because its easy."

Men have to be stuck with black and brown and navy and grey....that's it!  As Women, we can beautify the Universe, add color to everything around us!  If not us, then who?  Its just about finding what works for us!

Be Beautiful Every Day! 

Shine On, Ladies!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I've been to France 21 times and spent equal time in cities and in the countryside. That closet idea is excellent but the notion that all French women dress a certain way is just not true. Sure, the well-to-do Parisian women can teach us all a few things about how to dress well. On the other hand, many women in the countryside do not dress all that well. They wear very simple, serviceable clothes that no one would consider stylish. France is a very diverse country but, sadly, when most people think of France, it's only Paris. It's a magnificent city, my favorite, but France and its women are far more diverse than that.

Exactly.  There are a lot of women in just about every country who can teach everyone a thing or two about how to dress.

It's like all the talk we heard from a former host about women of New York and how fashionable they are and how they dress and ladies who lunch, blah, blah, blah.  If you ever tuned into the Cure by the Shore event held in the Hamptons, you could see many of the women walking around in the background and I'd have to say that most of them were dressed no differently than in many other areas.  They certainly weren't dressed better and many were dressed worse.  I didn't see anything I wanted the emulate.     

Respected Contributor

I wear solid gray, black, brown skirts & pants mostly, but I love prints and color near my face! I do have some solid tops. I am in the process of phasing out my prints with a lot of brown in them...since I let my hair gray, brown doesn't look as good on me anymore.

But today I am wearing charcoal gray pants, a simple Logo top that's a marled knit in shades of gray/white, and a print scarf that is black/gray/white...and it looks pretty good!

Like someone else said, I prefer prints in my dresses as well as my tops. They help disguise any lumps!!!!

Respected Contributor

I certainly did that back when I was a young working girl. And that was because I was poor and had few choices. Fast forward to the present and I'm blessed to have closets of clothes to wear. As someone else mentioned compliments, I get them too. Makes me feel that I'm doing something right. Bottom line is enjoy what you have. 

Honored Contributor

I was "converted" by Linda Dano's book:  "Looking Great" ... almost 20 years ago now.  Not a smaller wardrobe, but a smarter wardrobe.

Everything in my closets can be mixed or matched.