Esteemed Contributor

Re: DRESSING LIKE A FRENCH WOMAN

@Shanus wrote:

Ever notice that our closets are full of clothes, but we stand there dazed with NOTHING to wear? I solved the problem! I purchased a book about DRESSING LIKE A FRENCH WOMEN. I've learned to limit my closet to basic neutral colors like black, white, grey, navy & tan (& my beloved jeans). I have all solid pieces. I also chose the best of the best: those items I reached for most often. At the beginning of the season, I turned all my hangers in same direction. As I took an item out to wear & put it back, I turned the hanger in the opposite direction. Guess what? I only wore about 1/3 of the clothes in the closet. The items w/ hangers never turned/never worn were donated...after looking at them to see why they were skipped over: didn't fit, nothing to go w/ & didn't like well enough to purchase it, color not flattering, shape did nothing for me, etc. What I ended up with was a CAPSULE WARDROBE....a smaller wardrobe of key mix and match neutral pieces that fit well and can be accented w/ accessories like scarves & jewelry. Yes, my closet appears empty, but EVERYTHING in in is worn all the time and making an outfit is now a breeze instead of a chore. Have you tried a small neutral wardrobe?

I don't care how French women dress. Woman Mad I like to have what I need for every ocassion imaginable.  I have casual, semi casual, classic, sexy, dressy, black tie, white tie.  I have lots of jewelry and shoes to go with as well.

I must have color.  Color is my friend.  Greens, Reds, blues, yellow.  I have the standard black slacks, leggings and jeans, but I also have other bottoms (skirts, slacks) in a myriad of colors.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I know a lot of women who almost entirely wear black - I call that New York City style. Many lady doctors wear black every day. They cover it with a lab coat anyway and it just makes dressing easy for them in their busy lives. I need color near my face - I am very fair with white hair so I need some color to balance off that I have little color on my own. 

I have a black swimsuit I wear to water aerobics & in that suit with no makeup - I look like I'm dead. If I wasn't moving they would be calling the coroner.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus

I enjoyed your post.  I hope to get motivated after the New Year to do basically the same.

I tend to prefer solid colors for sure and then add a scarf or other accessories to add a little flair. I do love plaids, but I wear them with everything else in a solid color.

My husband had a very stylish aunt.  No matter what the occasion, she just look fabulous and appropriate.  She wore a lot of the neutrals but would add interest with jewelry, a beret, or a great looking wrap.  She also had a shoe wardrobe I envied.  She was a beautiful, worldly lady and she loved fashion.

I have heard of the turning-the-hangers method of really learning what you wear.  I love that!  My challenge:  let go !

Respected Contributor

That is how I have always dressed, for better or worse. Mostly black in winter, all solids, quality, classic, simple, and usually the same gold jewelry. Then I change it up with shots of color in a scarf, handbag, whatever. Even then, I tend to stick to favorite old Hermes scarves, which never go out of style. I made an exception this fall and bought two tribal  jacquard cardigans. Very unusual. I wore one the other day-- over skinny black jeans, cordovan ankle boots, and Dooney's new Bordeaux florentine satchel. More pattern than I am used to!

Summer is harder for me, but here at the lake I tend to live in khaki capris and long black 3/4 sleeve tops with black boat shoes or a navy top with navy boat shoes, and then I pop the outfit with a red bag, yellow satchel, whatever.

Honored Contributor

I don't see anythiing special about French women

Honored Contributor

While I understand the idea of a chic French woman dressed in neutrals with scarves and statement necklaces, I don't think that is the only way to look pulled together. Fits trumps everything IMO. I would get bored wearing neutrals top to bottom every day, and I am not a fan of scarves or large statement jewelry. 

I only wear neutral pant colors, but I love colors and prints on top. I own both solid and printed skirts and dresses. Everything I own is in one small closet and organized by colors - tops and skirts on the left and pants and dresses on the right. It is easy to find something to wear when a closet is organized by color because most anything goes with a neutral bottom.