Honored Contributor

Re: DRESSING LIKE A FRENCH WOMAN

My son just got back from a business trip to Paris and he said that American women are the prettiest, best dressed and that it's a myth about French women have more fashion savvy than American women.

I, myself, have never had a stuffed closet. I wear a lot of neutral clothing and dress in a lot of Ralph Lauren, which seems to fit me best. I buy expensive clothing not always on sale and I have very little of it. It makes it easy in the morning to get dressed. French women ....they have nothing on us American women.... We have been doing for years what is in that book.

Honored Contributor

I must be French as I've been doing this for 20 plus years.

Esteemed Contributor

I think if it works for you, that's great. I do have a lot of clothes that I don't wear so I'll probably go through and edit this winter. I do like boho tunics and skinny jeans and I'm not wearing the bootcut jeans now. I have paired down my shoes to what fits well and what I want to wear. 

I'm keeping a lot of outerwear coats as I like to vary them in winter. I get bored easily with outerwear.

Jeans and pants are solid and dark. No wierd pockets or colors. I seldom wear black pants at home as black is a pet fur magnet.

Honored Contributor

I stay away from neturals for day wear.  I am pale (natural hair auburn) and my hair is now grey.  I think black is a harsh color on older pale skin.  Beige, taupe, etc. that I always loved now wash me out.  If I wear a navy top and pants I always have a colorful scarf on.   I do wear black at night when dressier clothes are called for - nice restaurant, party, etc.  Mainly because if you go to a party in an emerald green dress that is pretty memorable but if you wear black it kind of runs together.  I buy separates that I can mix up so I spend less.  

Respected Contributor

I've dressed like this my entire adult life.

I didn't realize that was French dressing. I prefer Italian, myself. 

Honored Contributor

I have only neutral bottoms - all skirts , pants and capris are tan, stone, black,white,navy or grey. However I do like to wear color near my face, so I have a variety of color tops. About half and half between prints and solid.Whenever I buy any prints they ALWAYS have black in them , so I can wear a black bottom and , if needed , a black jacket. And I would never be without a plain black dress that can be dressed up or down as needed.You just have to have at least one LBD.

Like the OP I do not have a lot in my closet, but what is in there is all good stuff. Since we retired I wear mostly capris and t shirts so that is the bulk of my wardrobe.

Honored Contributor

I like classic clothes but also like bright colors and some prints and it really depends on what style. And you can never have too much sparkle!

I used to have mostly black and navy in my closet but now a myriad of colors which I love and yes I do think it cheers people up as well as myself on those grey days.

I would get bored with just dark solids even with bright accessories. I think people above who live up north tend to wear more black and people down south more colors-kind of goes with the climate I guessSmiley Happy

I have a hot pink raincoat (yes I doSmiley Happy that I got years ago in a junior section-its also kind of a plastic material and every single time I wear it I get a compliment from all age groups and types of people-every time. It does make people happy to see color.

But you have inspired me to go thru a little and donate some things that just aren't right anymore so thank you!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have no desire to run around New Mexico dressed like a French woman,  nor does anyone I know.   We love bright colors,  interesting patterns in clothing and the fun of blending of the two.   People who live in bright,  sunny places don't like drab clothing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

I live in a rainy grey place and that is why I love bright clothes!

Honored Contributor

It sounds rather dreary to me.  I love color paired with neutrals or some really distinctive shoes in an otherwise monischromatic look. Wearing tan, black, gray and white just doesn't suit my personality but that's great that it works well for some people. Must make things easier. The hanger idea is a great one. I'm being brutal with my purging this year. But a lot of what I have, I absolutely love!