Honored Contributor

Re: DREAD WARM WEATHER CLOTHES

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogswrote:

Well, I welcome the warm weather but I am not a shorts, sleeveless person either...(62 years old, if that matters).  I do like dresses, ankle pants and crops.  I always have some sort of cover up in the car....restaurants and very cold in the summer.

What I like least about summer is seeing all that skin on other people...I will leave it at that!!

The glare off my skin after cold weather could almost blind someone. I hate having to burn my skin on the way to any tan.  So I camp out in the A/C now. @Mom2Dogs

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

At 72, I don’t wear shorts and slacks in hot weather.

While snowbirding in FL, I have a wardrobe of long, stretchy Jersey tank dresses.  If it is a cool day, I have the same fabric long dresses with short sleeves.

Back North in the summer, same type dressing.  Much more comfortable than all that fabric in slacks.  Too, makes me look taller.

As for the arms issue:  make peace with it at this stage of life....it is what it is.  So far, I only have a “ little wave “ when I raise my arm, lol.

Another poster mentioned that she keeps a wrap in her car.  Well, I have one in my car as well as DH’s car.  Recently, I noticed that the fastest growing and largest clothes category for me is shawls / ruanas / capes.

It seems that the biggest change in body shape happened at  around 70.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I am a fan of warm weather dressing. Love the casual look. Much prefer sandals to boots.

No sleeveless, but good fitting knee length shorts work for me. I am too old to care what anyone else thinks of my clothing choices. They fit well and are clean. 

If you don't like me or my look- look away. I don't judge. Be cool and comfortable- but modest, please!

Honored Contributor

What's so funny now days is the thin women are wearing what looks to be maternity tops. All puffed out and spag. straps and the pregnant ones are still trying to wear their usual clothes and now they have a beach ball in front of them with navel showing thru the thin tops.

Honored Contributor

I hate the cold weather and hate to bundle up.  I am always freezing.

i love summer and the nice hot sun warming my bones.  I burn so I have to be somewhat covered when I am outside for an extended period.

i live in shorts and swim suits all summer long.  I know my body is not 18 anymore  and so does everyone else.  I wear what keeps me comfortable.

Where we go boating, many of the couples are in their 50’s and 60’s. Once in a great while, you might see a woman or a man who truly defies age and they look great and toned.  More often than not, everyone looks like older people look.  

Some of the women still wear tiny bikinis, not just  2  piece suits, but tiny bikini’s. They are not thin, toned women.  It’s not a look I go for.  I keep my tummy covered up.  My upper arms are big.  I don’t like them, but it is what it is.

There is nothing wrong with looking older and being older.  We are not teenagers anymore.  Instead of thinking about my “glory days” body, I choose to just live life and get the most out of it.  At my age, I am a short timer.  I figure I better squeeze in all the good times that I can.

i refuse to deprive myself of fun and travel because I am self conscious about natural aging.  One of my friends turned down an anniversary trip to Hawaii because she is overweight.  Seems so silly to me.  I wonder how did we every get this way with this crazy way of thinking.  Vanity sometimes controls our lives to where we suffer because of the natural way we look.

Respected Contributor

I'm looking forward to warm weather clothes because it's been a brutal winter.

I love tank tops, shorts, dresses, and skirts. I used to be so self-conscious about my legs, but I have learned to embrace my body and be thankful for it. Frankly, I don't care if anyone is offended by my skin showing.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I'm not self conscious about anything, and I wouldn't ever make remarks about how others look ,or dress. It's none of my business

I only posted about what type of clothing I like ,and wear, I don't care what anyone else does

Regular Contributor

@Shanus, I am right there with you!!! I was just telling my husband that. I love feeling warm and cozy in the cold weather. You can always layer up to stay warm.

I hate being hot and sweaty in the Summer!!! There's only so much you can take off! LOL

Respected Contributor

I too know the frustration of upper arm work trying to maintain tone, and it gets harder and harder to get results 😢 then there’s the bulging veins.....now creeping down to my shins....oh well, just lucky to still be here is the way I look at it 🙂

Honored Contributor

@jlkzwrote:

@Shanus

At 72, I don’t wear shorts and slacks in hot weather.

While snowbirding in FL, I have a wardrobe of long, stretchy Jersey tank dresses.  If it is a cool day, I have the same fabric long dresses with short sleeves.

Back North in the summer, same type dressing.  Much more comfortable than all that fabric in slacks.  Too, makes me look taller.

As for the arms issue:  make peace with it at this stage of life....it is what it is.  So far, I only have a “ little wave “ when I raise my arm, lol.

Another poster mentioned that she keeps a wrap in her car.  Well, I have one in my car as well as DH’s car.  Recently, I noticed that the fastest growing and largest clothes category for me is shawls / ruanas / capes.

It seems that the biggest change in body shape happened at  around 70.

Where does the “wave “ come from? I looked in the mirror one day (few years back) and there it was. I was thin then too.