Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU NEED THUMB HOLES?

Need them no, like them yes.  I don't have a full wardrobe of them but I do like the few I have.  My hands tend to get cold so it is a nice for alittle warmth, I think they look kind of cool and it is something different. I do not like wearing the same style all the time.  I like changing it up a bit.  

Honored Contributor

Absolutely not!

Honored Contributor

I don't seek out items with thumbholes, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. I have one sporty partial zip top that has them. I've used them a few times when my hands were cold, but usually, I just fold the material with the thumbhole back into a cuff and don't use them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan of thumbholes on tops, just something to fold up (cuff).  One of coats did come with a knit cuff from under the woven sleeve and I do like that because I never remember to carry gloves.  So in the coat it is a plus.  If I don't need it, I can just push it up.  The cuff does not slide down.  Don't remember the brand, but it was qvc.  I like the coat.

Esteemed Contributor

I love thumb holes. 

They're very helpful while putting on or taking off a layer. Sometimes I clip my house key on a carabiner through the hole. When it's below 60°F I'm usually wearing something with thumb holes.

But going about my day with my thumbs through the holes?

I don't know anyone who does that.

That's ridiculous!

Super Contributor

I do like them and have for many years. I smile when I see them because Goths have been wearing items with thumb holes since the 80s and dark nail polish that so many have adopted. 

Honored Contributor

I only bought one garment with thumb holes about 4-5 years ago...a Cuddle Duds hooded wrap. I must have long arms because once I put my thumbs in the holes, it was very uncomfortable and pulled all across my back and I was stretching out the sleeves.

Not a feature I would ever need/use.

Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
If I’m not going to use them, I just fold back the cuffs.

Pretty simple, right?

Honored Contributor

I don't need them but use them on chilly days when I'm wearing a sweatshirt and I want to keep my hands and wrists warm. I don't like walking around with my hands in my pockets.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

NO!!!!!

To me, they look dumb AND when modelled, the models take on this infantile, submissive pose, complete with toes turned in like a baby.

Why would any confident woman today want to look like a baby?

And, it's disgusting to think what the ends of your sweater or shirt get dragged thru in a day's time.

I suppose they're OK to anchor the layed shirt ( like someone mentioned) until you complete dressing like an adult for the day. Then you un-thumbhole them back to a normal shirt.

Cabin sock and jammies evoke the same reponse to me. I am NOT a baby and don't want to dress like one or transmit that signal to others.

Looks like 7-11 wear to me.

The way the models pose.. yeah. You got that right. A host does this as well.  To me, thumb holes read as very young. I mainly see this style on young teens. The fact that anyone over twenty is here discussing it, says to me "too old and out of touch". Ok well I'll speak for myself. This is an extremely youthful trend that doesn't mesh with my fashion sense or my overall persona at age 70. 
I don't mind "fun" fashion but for me, I want to be careful that I don't look like I'm trying too hard to be young. 

Harmonize the World