Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU NEED THUMB HOLES?

I only have thumb holes in a couple of my LL Bean thermal tops that I wear in the winter for outdoor activities.  Other than that they are useless, IMO, and are just a bacteria trap.

Respected Contributor

No, not at all. They are a dirt and germ fest. The sleeve touches the grocery cart, door handles, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I've tried them when qvc first offered them and they were too short and pulled on my thumbs.  But the newer garments have been done right and comfortably fit over my thumbs covering the top of my hands and keeping them warm.  So I guess I'm a fan. 

Honored Contributor

I have loved them and worn them for years.  I taught baton and twirlers have worn sweatshirt jackets with them as well as arm warmers with them to keep their wrists limber.  They came in handy for me when our office was always so cold and many others had me order them after seeing them.  Great for anyone with wrist stiffness and arthritis.

Respected Contributor

Nope.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for them but they are not a deal breaker.  As far as bacteria traps go, regular sleeves might be just as bad.  (Now I have a new thing to worry about.)

Honored Contributor

I used to think they were neat before I got a top with them.  I agree they can be useful for layering, but the Under Armor top I have, layering over it wouldn't look right.  I'm short, so I wouldn't expect to have a problem with arm length, but the holes pull uncomfortably against the part of my hand between my thumb and forefinger. Maybe a different top I would like better.  But, then there's the issue of having to pull your thumbs out every time you want to wash your hands.  

As far as warmth is concerned, it's my fingers that get cold, so thumb holes don't help with that.

Honored Contributor

To me they look like you never do anything and never wash your hands.  Totally pointless. . . I can't imagine having my hands covered like that. Ewwwww! 

Honored Contributor

The only place I want thumb holes is on my winter snow parka.  

Respected Contributor

NO!!!!!

To me, they look dumb AND when modelled, the models take on this infantile, submissive pose, complete with toes turned in like a baby.

Why would any confident woman today want to look like a baby?

And, it's disgusting to think what the ends of your sweater or shirt get dragged thru in a day's time.

I suppose they're OK to anchor the layed shirt ( like someone mentioned) until you complete dressing like an adult for the day. Then you un-thumbhole them back to a normal shirt.

Cabin sock and jammies evoke the same reponse to me. I am NOT a baby and don't want to dress like one or transmit that signal to others.

Looks like 7-11 wear to me.