Honored Contributor

I don;t get it! I have to roll up most sleeves at least once...even petites, but it seems to be "the thing" on PLW and ZUDA and other shirts. 

Most sleeves, on me, are long enough to pull down over my hands ifI ever that cold. Don't sleeves stay down w/o the thumb holes? Just a style trend? 

There are so many shirts I've liked and could be a bit less leisure w/o those holes.

Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU NEED THUMB HOLES?

I don't see the purpose and would never buy a top that had them.

Honored Contributor

I like them on some of my layering pieces especially the ones I wear under a jacket. That way when I put my arm through the jacket sleeve the thumb hole keeps the sleeve from riding up. but once I get the jacket on the thumb holes get released. Other than that I really don't care for them much at all.

Trusted Contributor

I like them if it's a shirt I'm out walking in and it's cool out.  They're also helpful if I'm layering another shirt over it, then it doesn't bunch up.

But I agree... so many sleeves are too long! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee That's the same reason I love the thumb holes; makes it easier to layer my clothes.

In addition, something when I am not layering, I like the thumb holes because I prefer not to wear gloves. So in the fall when I start using the tops with thumb holes and it is a little chillier than I anticipated, I use them to cover more of my hands and not get out the gloves.

Respected Contributor

My arms apparently are very long because I rarely find a top with thumb holes that are long enough and usually pull uncomfortably. If you don't use the holes, it looks strange to me, like the sleeve is torn. I did buy a warm top from Soft Surroundings once that had the holes; the sleeves were long enough that the holes made them cover the top half of my hands. When I'm going to an outside event and need to be toasty warm, I usually wear that top. I can't say I've seen that many people wearing tops with thumb holes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do we need them?  

Items like the TSV, other workout tops, some jackets -- need, not really.  But I love thumb holes!  It's just another style option.  It's not meant to be taken too seriously, or as a utilitarian feature. 

Fashion is so much more than need.  Do we need frayed hems on some jeans?  Have them, love them.  Do we need glitter on sneakers? I own a pair and always get compliments.  Fun.

Honored Contributor

Need them? Not really.  Like them? Yes.

I think they're cool on certain items, but agree that I don't need a closet full of them.  Most of the time I push my sleeves up.

Respected Contributor

I hate thumbholes

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

No I dont NEED them, but I like them.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)