Honored Contributor

DO YOU HAVE A STYLE "TRADEMARK'?

Thinking of some famous examples of those, past and present, with an immediately identifiable style "point of view":

Katharine Hepburn--   wide legged pants, turtlenecks, hair updo.

Steve Jobs--  black turtlenecks (or were they mocknecks?) and the rest of his outfit black too, I think.

Anna Wintour--  Stylized hair-- a strict chop with bangs, doesn't vary.

Diane Keaton--  Kook.  Combine nutty elements, together; they work on her, somehow.  Someone once said she'll combine oven mitts (ha), and combat boots, and look original and great!

Helena Bonham Carter--  Subcategory of Diane Keaton's look.  Unhappily, I don't think it works for her like it does for Diane...

Duchess Kate--  Classic, refined looks, low-key impeccable styling. Defies some current trends in small ways, like wearing sheer hosiery, as well as tights.  Gorgeous, tumbling but polished locks.

Duchess Meghan--  Sleek, favors contemporary looks.  Departs from some other royals by wearing stylish monochromatic neutrals that flatter her coloring-- black, cream, cocoa.  Perfect makeup, always.

Maria Bartiromo--  Not afraid of rich color.  Will do a dramatic eye, rest of makeup and lips subdued.  Interesting jewelry.  Tailored;  unlike many in her field, is covered-up and circumspect in clothing choices for broadcasting.

Natalie Wood--  I loved her style.  Slightly California bohemian, feminine, gold jewelry, swinging hair.

Fred Astaire--  English tailoring, faultless, but not stuffy.  Used to get a new sportcoat, and crumple it and throw it against the wall till he had it subdued and looking like him!  Oxford shirts, silk scarves, casually improvising a tie as a belt, loafers.  Tying it all together with an insouciant attitude-- he wore the clothes, they didn't wear him.

These are the first random people with a definite, identifiable style that came into my mind!  So many others.

People who don't like the idea of a "uniform" type of dressing won't like this at all, probably.

My style point of view, such as it is:  1) Color.  Gutsy pastels and soft shades on top to flatter my anemic coloring, darker neutrals on bottom.  2)  Strong jewelry   White metals mostly, bold, always an interesting watch, and pearls worn in unusual ways.

What's your style 'point of view', if you have one. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: DO YOU HAVE A STYLE "TRADEMARK'?

@Oznell : Boy, I honestly am not sure for myself. I never thought of my style trademark. Do I even have a style. Because of my thick hair with strong wave I always have to wear my hair short and the same style. Maybe that’s a trademark by default. 

I'll be interested in everyone's answers.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie, how lucky you are to have thick hair with a natural wave!   That could definitely be a style "starting off" point, and I would imagine a lot of people when they think of you are picturing your luxuriant hair-- that's such a prominent feature...  Great natural asset!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell: Thank you. I like my hair since I don’t have to futz with it, air dry and finger comb, but my hair will do nothing else so no choice.

I'm going to try to look at myself and closet with a different eye to see whatever I might gleen about my style. I'm retired but still like to look nice and updated.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

@Sadiesadie 

Took this photo to show rather than explain to my hairdresser ( from Argentina ) while in FL for the winter.  It is one of my trademarks:

502186E0-A509-48FC-B8CA-97C686B03040.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   What a fun question.  For the most part I like "classic" or traditional, tailored styles.  Almost always wear some sort of jacket or blazer, traditional shirts, high waist slacks or jeans, skirts.  But I like some frilly stuff.  Jacket dresses and suits look good on me.

Shoes are also conservative, seldom wore or wear high heels.  Have very narrow shoe size so never could wear outrageous styles.

Love maxi style, or at least long/below the knee wool coats, usually black, since I feel the cold most of the year.  Have a couple of shorter ones.  Love wool sweaters, cotton or cashmere cardigans or turtlenecks.  

Never had a weight problem, which is a plus when hunting for clothes bargains.   Love the clothes from J. Peterman and have a short coat and a couple of long blazers from there.

Once in a while I do sport the Diane Keaton look just for fun.  Did more of that when I was in my forties/fifties.  When I want that look the Soft Surrounding catalogue is my first resort.

Jewelry is usually classic and most not expensive.  Adore estate jewelry--Edwardian and Art Deco era are favorites.

Jewel tones look good on me since I'm very fair skinned.  And, since I wasn't graced with good hair I'm a "hat" girl.  I always wear one.  At the very least the beret is my best friend and part of my signature.

Perfumes include Tabu, CocoMademoiselle, Shalimar.   

Trusted Contributor

all black, bold jewelry, long hair tied up, tall wedges (boots or sandals)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was in the workforce, it was classic tailored pant suits, silk blouses and marcasite jewelry.

Now that I'm a lady of leisure, it's (mainly) leather jackets, jeans/knit pants turtleneck sweater and turquoise jewelry ...

... add to that a cape or poncho,  considering the weather.   Oh, and  cowboy boots.

In the summer it's hodge-podge since I don't care for the season ...

Respected Contributor

When I'm dressed up it's high heels for my shoes and boots, and many times leather (skirt, pants, dress). I get compliments and that is reassuring.

Honored Contributor

Seriously since retiring I wear less jewelry and very little makeup most days.

I don’t wear t-shirts because I don’t care for the crew neck cut on me.

I have several 2-piece sets of SG I wear with black pants all year round.  If you are familiar with Dana Buckman-Kohl’s, I have many sleeveless tops. I wear with sweaters, jackets, or summer by themselves.

I can wear most anything I own to church services too.

I guess I’m pretty plain compared to a lot of people but I’m happy with it.