Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU DRESS FOR YOUR BODY TYPE?

I think it is a given that most women dress for their body type.  We know through trial and error what looks best on us.  We don't need someone to tell us what we should be wearing.

....and for some people, they dress for comfort and don't care how they look.

Valued Contributor

Growing up my mother would always tell me:

"Big girls shouldn't wear white....."

"Big girls shouldn't wear horizontal stripes....."

"Big girls shouldn't wear big prints......"

Now, I love to wear white and off-white. I do wear stripes and I occasionally wear prints. I guess it's just my way of rebelling all these years later. :-)

Trusted Contributor

I think a lot about dressing for your body type is proportion.  Everyone needs a full length mirror to really look at the whole outfit to see if it is pleasing to the eye.  You can be comfortable and still look good! 

Honored Contributor

I think some of the dressing for your body shape rules can help some women who aren't sure how to dress to flatter their shape. If some women don't want to do that, that's their choice. 

I've always been an hourglass shape so waist defining styles really look good on me, but that doesn't mean everything I wear accentuates my waist. As I have aged my waist is less defined due to menopausal weight gain around my middle. 🤨 

Esteemed Contributor

I also try to dress in what I think looks good on me.  I do like many different styles but my hubby is my best judge.   Even though at times I think he's fibbing about how "awesome" I look, LOL!    If there is a style I shouldn't wear, I don't know what it is, maybe that's a good thing.

Respected Contributor

I wear what looks good on me and is flattering. I think that may be dressing for your body type without being aware. I do not enjoy buying clothing online. I prefer to be in a store, try on my selections, and purchase the items that look good on my body and with my coloring. I am very particular. Good enough isn't good enough when it comes to my public facing wardrobe. At home attire isn't quite as difficult since comfort is my goal for that.

Shopping for new clothing online is not my thing. I have done it, but I am usually disappointed when I receive the item. QVC helps somewhat with that problem. Seeing clothing on a model helps. If I like an item on Jacky, I feel fairly certain I will like it on me. We are not the same body type, but there is something about her that reflects me and my style.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I can relate ....

I guess my answer would be "yes, I dress for my body type."  

I don't read any articles - my full length mirror works just fine. 

I have wide shoulders, longer neck, long torso - small bust, narrow hips.

I DON'T WANT ANY CURVES!  

I choose clothes that accent my narrow body and  "T" shape.  Strong vertical lines.   No fit-and-flare.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

@Shanus wrote:

I've read some articles referring to how to dress to make your body type appear more curvy, more even torso to legs, add a waist to a rectangle figure, etc.

I'm a rectangle and I don't have a distinct waist...never did as a child and still don't. Even working out with exercises meant to reduce that the waist...nope.

Do I try to "fake" having a waist when I dress? No I don't. I like my somewhat boyish figure and use it to my advantage when I dress. I will never be curvy, taller, weigh more, etc.

What about you?

Trusted Contributor

I Have more of an hourglass shape with wide shoulders and wide hips. So I have to wear of things with structure and fitted in the waist area, or else I just looked big all over. So yes I definitely dress for my body time. No prairie, loose boho styles for me
Esteemed Contributor

I do dress for my body type and what I think looks best on me, regardless of what the current fashion trend happens to be. I've always liked looking my best when I go out in public or entertain at home. I've always been a pretty conservative dresser.

For example, when slim skirts were in, I would not wear them as I think they accentuated my backside and I do not care if that look is "in" .... it's not "in" for me. There was a time when big backsides were not something a woman wanted to have and I still feel that way about myself. It's not that my hips are overly big at 35 inches ... but it's a bubble shape (ugh) ... and I don't want to showcase that attribute.

Then there are empire waist tops and swing jackets which due to my large bosom, made me look pregnant. Which is fine ... if you are pegnant. I dearly wanted to wear both styles as I really liked them on other people. I just could not carry it off at all, so I don't bother trying anymore.

A full length 3 way mirror is my best friend when it comes to fit. I also do ask my spouse for his opinion as well as ask my friends about how something looks on me. I want honesty about fit and if something is flattering. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

One thing I was blessed with is height 5.7 in. because I never had to alter any of my pants, jackets, dresses.  Everything fit perfectly.  Now I am a little shorter 5.6 in.  I dress to compliment my body.  It's really not that hard.  Buy the right tops and I have quite a collection of pull on jeans and pants.  With being retired, I have not had a need for dresses.

kindness is strength